3rd and new Deco M5 doesn't update firmware

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-31 12:44:52 - last edited 2020-10-31 12:47:11
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: V1.1.7

So some time ago I bought a 3 pack of Deco's M5's to extended my wifi network. Was actually suprised that two units was enough 

Due to the Working From Home experience, I now installed the 3rd Deco in another part of the house. Only it won't update to the latest firmware version?

My current setup is that all 3 Deco's are connected to the ISP router in AP mode.

Main Deco and Second deco are running FW V1.4.9 Build20200924 rel 60170

Third (new) Deco is running the out of the box  FW version1.1.6 Build 20171103 rel. 47257

When i use the Deco app it and run the "update your Deco" tile, it says: "Your Deco-Home Wifi system is up-to-date. Have fun!" Normally it would mention the latest installed FW version.

Logging into the main deco, I can also see my network, and under Firmware Upgrade it shows the FW versions mentioned above, without "Latest firmware version" being filled for the third (new) deco.

What have i tried so far:

- Logon to the third deco via browser, like i can do with the first and second deco. doesn't work and i get a cannot connect to server error.

- Multiple resets of all 3 deco's.

- Reset of ISP router and 3 deco's

- Connected third Deco via UTP directly to the main deco

- Connected third Deco via Wireless to the main deco

How can i upgrade the third Deco M5 to the last firmware version? I am now missing crucial information in the app like

- How it is connected (wireless or ethernet)

- Which clients are connected to the AP

- Set MESH settings for specific clients

- See speeds of clients

- Disable the LED light on this device

Options
3 Reply
Re:3rd and new Deco M5 doesn't update firmware
2020-11-05 10:00:11

@JunkMailKing 

Hello, you may try to switch this specific Deco node with the 1.1.6 version to work as the main Deco, and disconnect the other two, then you should be able to detect the new firmware.

While you will need to reset the other two and reconfigure them to connect back :)

Options
2020-11-11 07:49:09

@TP-Link_Deco 

Thank you for the reply. 
Due to the continues working from home, I can not permit any WiFi connection drops by reconfiguring the network. 

But can I set up the 3rd Deco as a Main Deco next to the other Deco network with the current Deco app? Thus having two deco networks, update the 3rd Decos firmware and the adopt it in my current network as a slave? 

Options
2020-11-12 01:53:00

@JunkMailKing 

Hello, 

Yes, that will be another alternative I think, you may give it a go when it is convenient. You can reset this specific unit and set it to another network as below and update its firmware:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2295/

Once updated its firmware successfully, you can reset it and reconnect it to the previous two-Decos system.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1404

Replies: 3