HS220 Switch randomly turns off and immediately back on

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

HS220 Switch randomly turns off and immediately back on

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
30 Reply
Re:HS220 Switch randomly turns off and immediately back on
2021-03-19 13:21:56

@Girlchemist1 Hello, 

Sorry for the trouble has caused.  Creating a Guest network is a temporary suggestion to isolate the issue, our seniors are still working on this issue . 

If you could help perform any test, please let know the test results as above and we will have a senior engineer to handle your case. 

Thank you for your understanding. 

Options
2021-04-06 13:57:13

@Solla-topee 

Where is TP-Link in coming up with a fix for this?

We all seem to be getting blown off by TP-Link, and the solution to create an isolated network is not a solution.

Without the promise of a solution, I am days away from removing my 75+ TP-Link devices and sending them back to you for a refund.

I have now spent the last two nights trying to sleep through the strobe show as whatever is causing this runs through the house flashing the lights on and off every few minutes.

My guest's at Easter thought it was quite comical. Needless to say TP-Link won't be getting their business!

Options
2021-04-07 08:58:07

@Andercam Hello, 

Some Beta firmwares have come out, and I updated on page 1 of this thread, you could give it a try if your own those Models.

I see your case has been escalated to our seniors before email title "【forum ID236006】" , you could also reply to that support email if you need any further email. Thank you. 

Options
2021-04-14 15:14:02
The Beta firmware resolved the issue for me so far. It's been three days and no random on/off. Thanks!
Options
2021-04-16 14:03:34

@Solla-topee 

I've tried the KP103, HS200, HS220 beta firmware so far and it seems to have fixed the issue. Will try the KP400 soon. When can we expect the solution to be rolled into an official firmware release?

Options
2021-04-19 02:11:28

@riwall Hello, 

Many thanks for your update, glad to hear that the Beta firmware works. For the date official firmware , it will take some time and please kindly wait for" available firmware update" in Kasa app. I will also update on this thread if new firmware are avail. 

Your understanding is much appreciated

Options
2021-04-23 01:17:44 - last edited 2021-04-23 19:17:41

I have 6 KL130 smart bulbs one of them sometimes turns off by itself and stays off, not sure why that is, but it's very infrequent. The lights also sometimes flash off and on (only one at a time, as far as I know) but that may just be unreliable power, not sure. Anyway, I can live with those as it's very infrequent, that's not why I'm making this post but I thought it worth mentioning anyway in case there is a solution.

I have been using a HS110 smart plug for a while, without issues.

I just added 2 more HS110 smart plugs today and one of them is having this issue.

The one in question is connected to my desktop PC to monitor power usage and every time it power cycles the rapid power cycle causes my PC to lock up during boot with the fans on full blast, which is extremely annoying.

The other one seems to be working correctly, though it hasn't been powered on for extended periods of time, so it's a bit early to tell.

All of the smart plugs are on hardware 4.0 and firmware 1.0.5 (the latest)

I don't have a mesh network and my router is an Asus RT-AC68U. Away mode is off.

Power cycles happen roughly every 45 min.

I've gone through all the troubleshooting steps, factory reset did not help, I now have the problematic plug on a separate guest network. I didn't touch the working plugs and smart bulbs. Will update on whether the issue persists.

Edit: Problem went away with the plug on an isolated network. Moreover, I think I've narrowed down the issue to a custom program I wrote for polling the power usage and toggling power using this library: https://github.com/iqmeta/tplink-smartplug

Now, there is nothing special about the library, or my code. It simply polls the sysinfo and meter states every 500ms and updates the info displayed in the program. Perhaps it's simply polling too often or there is a memory leak issue in the TP-Link firmware.

I have also seen multiple reports the same issue when using the OctoPrint-TPLinkSmartPlug plugin to control their 3D printers. I have been using that without issues for a year now, so I don't know why some others are having issues with that specifically, but it seems to me like the ones having issues are the ones making use of the undocumented interface on port 9999 which may not be entirely stable or bug free as it was probably not meant for people to use. As when I googled the issue several results came up which specifically mentioned the OctoPrint plugin.

I also saw one person mention they looked at the LED when it happened and it started blinking like it was searching for the wifi network, which suggests it actually crashed and rebooted. Makes me think it crashed due to a memory leak or a bug seems pretty likely.

Edit2: After some more testing I've come to the conclusion that it has to do with the number of requests done on the undocumented port 9999 interface. Doubling the polling delay only doubles the time it takes before the plug crashes and power cycles. It seems to happen after about 5000 requests (120 requests a minute * ~43 minutes = 5160 requests, when the delay was doubled it took almost exactly double the amount of time, but same amount of requests), anyone that runs any 3rd party software making use of this interface will probably experience crashes/power cycles around every 5000 requests. I have a hunch that every request is being logged in RAM or to a ramdisk but never cleared, and once it runs out of space on the ramdisk or in memory, the entire thing crashes. It's also possible there is a memory leak and it is just not freeing all the resources used for each request properly.

Options
2021-04-25 10:29:26

@Jdbye Good day, 

Thank you for your detailed description of the problem, 

KL130 V2 auto reboot issue was fixed on the official firmware 1.0.11 and later firmware, please update firmware for KL130 to the latest at first. 

For the bulb & smart plug reboot problem, we'd like to follow up your case via email, please check our email with forum ID  < 235006  > later, thank you. 

Options
2021-04-26 03:49:20 - last edited 2021-04-26 04:46:38

@Solla-topee 

My KL130 are hardware version 1.0, not 2.0 and already running the latest firmware (1.8.11)

Options
2021-04-28 01:43:16 - last edited 2021-04-28 01:43:37

@Jdbye Good day, 

Thank you for your update ~ You could observe the performance first if happens infrequently, if the problem gets worse on that certain KL130 V1, you could let us know via email directly ~ 

Options