Kasa devices and Home Assistant - Integration now broken due to firmware update

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Kasa devices and Home Assistant - Integration now broken due to firmware update

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
86 Reply
Re:Kasa devices and Home Assistant - Integration now broken due to firmware update
2021-03-01 16:44:11

No kidding, what a horrible attitude.

So they discovered they screwed up on their cloud API: "planning to push more secure cloud API"?  That's really, really scarey - a hacker is going to get in that way, they're not going to bother breaking one person's home wifi to gain control the devices locally.  We are all at a terrible risk if they have failed to protect that API properly for so many years.  Once into TP Link's cloud API a hacker will have a much easier time breaking back into many, many customer local lans, and it won't be to play with the lights.  Not to mention TP Link has our email address, geographic location, wifi SSID, and wifi password already saved there in the cloud - if they can't protect their API, why should we believe they can protect our data?

And now, 'cause they screwed up there, they're going to close off the local API?  Despite that we've been keeping ourselves completely safe from their blunder by blocking our devices from the internet and their cloud by using 3rd party apps?

If they were responsible and intelligent they would publish the local API, not block it.

The instant they push this new firmware is the instant I drop all support for TP Link.  Don't bother "thanking me for my continued support".

AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
Re:Kasa devices and Home Assistant - Integration now broken due to firmware update
2021-03-02 03:22:39

@TP_LINK 

Is it safe to update US and Canadian models?  Is there any plan to disable local control in these markets?

Options
2021-03-12 11:07:48

the link (https://community.tp-link.com/en/smart-home/forum/topic/239408?page=1) implies the deadline for requesting a beta has passed.  I've only just found out that I need to apply this to my two HS100 plugs.

Does anyone know whether I can still get this release or whther there is an alternative solution (short of replacing the plugs) for Home Assistant?

TIA

Options
2021-04-07 18:07:40

@WirelessForEver 

Does anyone know if this policy is coming to US/North American devices? I'm looking to reccomend some more to family members in North America for use with Home Assistant and dont want to suggest Kasa smart plugs if they are just going to get the same eventual firmware update breaking local control.

Options
2021-04-14 16:39:51 - last edited 2021-04-14 16:40:59

@WirelessForEver unless tp-link makes a very clear statement committing to allow "cloudless" local control of the Kasa devices by third-party apps -- i.e., they won't kill that functionality with future firmware updates as they have in the UK -- then I'd recommend going with a competitor's product. The Belkin Wemo stuff looks like a very good alternative. It's more expensive, but it works cloudless, and because it supports HomeKit it will likely always allow local control.

I hope tp-link is monitoring these forums. You folks are about to lose a ton of business from forcing people to use your cloud API.

Options
2021-04-15 21:25:32 - last edited 2021-04-15 22:10:44

@jlg89tx 

I really want to recommend TP-Link for a family member and a friend doing a new house builds (and do the majority of the switches / plugs TP-Link) but i'm really hesitant now without local control.  They'd be using Home Assistant to control everything so local control is a must.

I agree with you that my original WeMo's have been solid and they kept their local control even when they had security issues.

I'd be really happy with some of the original solutions I posted.

Vizio recently added a simple paring code method to control their devices over local control (e.g. controlling my TV and sound bar from Home Assistant).

Options
2021-05-14 01:46:45 - last edited 2021-05-14 01:47:27

Both my manually-configured HS210s quit working earlier this week. No amount of rebooting Home Assistant will fix it. I've verified their IP numbers haven't changed. They still work in the Kasa app. Is this related to a firmware update?

Logger: homeassistant.components.tplink.common Source: components/tplink/common.py:151 Integration: TP-Link Kasa Smart (documentation, issues) First occurred: 7:32:48 AM (506 occurrences) Last logged: 8:43:16 PM Unable to communicate with device 192.168.10.140: Communication error Unable to communicate with device 192.168.10.183: Communication error

Options
2021-05-14 05:58:17

@GnatGoSplat 

GnatGoSplat wrote

Both my manually-configured HS210s quit working earlier this week. No amount of rebooting Home Assistant will fix it. I've verified their IP numbers haven't changed. They still work in the Kasa app. Is this related to a firmware update?

Logger: homeassistant.components.tplink.common Source: components/tplink/common.py:151 Integration: TP-Link Kasa Smart (documentation, issues) First occurred: 7:32:48 AM (506 occurrences) Last logged: 8:43:16 PM Unable to communicate with device 192.168.10.140: Communication error Unable to communicate with device 192.168.10.183: Communication error

Are you in the US or UK?

Options
2021-05-14 12:30:38

@WirelessForEver 

I'm in the US.

Options
2021-06-07 10:47:24

Still broken with HS110, hardware 4.1, firmware 1.1.0

TPlink refused to fix it, and there's no more firmware update.

They managed to remotely break my setup, quite incredible, and I got told that they don't wait to fix my device as we're past February 8th 2021, a sort of self-assigned "deadline".  

Options
Related Articles