Kasa devices reboot randomly

Kasa devices reboot randomly

52 Reply
Re:[Solution] Kasa devices reboot randomly
2022-02-01 23:21:28

2022 here we go with this tihs still.

I have these HS110 that power cycle (<1 sec) sometimes; user joining a home in Google Home, HS110 changing or fixing WLAN settings (not always, no pattern), reconnecting Kasa in Google Home and of course sometimes just on random.

I have had these for more than a year and together with your non-existing support on your Tapo webcams as well I could not be closer to never dealing with you again.

But let's see if this actually gets a response, that would be a surprise at least seeing nothing has improved in this thread in forever...

Should someone have to explain to your engineers why extremely rapid power cycling is bad for, say, a bunch of NAS units...?

There is no firmware update, and I don't even think that there's ever been any since I bought them.

Options
2022-02-14 02:29:55

@Solla-topee 

The TP400 installer does not work - it does not detect my device.  I had to use the HS220 updater and manually copy the KP400 firmware.bin file and also update the json inside the HS220 folder to make it work.  Hopefully this stops the flashing because it's incredibly annoying.

I used to trust TP Link but after the flashing lights and issues with my mesh wifi, I think I am going to stop using this brand.

Options
2022-02-14 11:41:42

Hello  @ZaInT 

Thank you for your feedback, may I know did you try the suggestion like

1)factory reset tapo plug and monitor of the reboot happen in factory default state

2) try to connect the plug to the a guest Wi-Fi network

Can you please help collect the information here: 

• Model of router, and network topology/layout: 

e.g. Router model archer C7 <wireless>HS110 V2 

• Do you use any third party app or software to control HS100 like Home Bridge, Home Assistant etc.
  • What are the other devices that in your home network, like TV model xx, Win10 Laptop etc.
  • The frequency of the auto-reboot:
  • Are there other Kasa devices that can work properly without an auto-reboot in the same local network? 
  • Mac address of the kasa device( please share Mac address by private message)

Thank you

Options
2022-02-14 11:44:19 - last edited 2022-02-14 12:00:37

@torsoreaper  KP400 US V2 upgrade tool is the same version as the HS220's. If the upgrade tool does not find the device,  please temporarily Windows firewall or security software and see the device could be found. thank you for your feedback, we will keep an eye on similar feedback. 

Options
2022-02-27 22:56:37

@Solla-topee I have some new information.  In my particular case of devices randomly rebooting, I found out the issue was caused by Alexa, and not TP-Link.

Specifically Alexa has a new feature called 'Hunches' in where the system has a 'hunch' you meant to do something, like turn a light off, dim a light, etc.  I stumbled across this accidentally while digging through the Alexa App looking for something else.

Of interest, there was a log showing all the 'hunches' Alexa had and the actions they took, and sure enough, there was a log entry appearing around the time of the odd reboot events I was seeing.

After disabling the hunches feature (agian, from within the Alexa app's settings) I no longer have any rebooting or dimming issues.

This is pretty frustrating because it means the issue wasn't with TP-Link at all, and instead was Amazon not being clear they were enabling something that would automatically mess with your home network. Lots of time and effort wasted from something that was supposed to make your life easier, but clearly didn't.

So... if you too are having a rebooting issue, check your Alexa App's settings for the Hunches feature and see if that's what you're seeing too. If so, disable it and see if it fixes your issue like it did me.  Almost a week now with no issue since I disabled them.

Options
2022-02-28 10:52:22 - last edited 2022-02-28 10:53:53

@MarqueIV 

Thank you for sharing your findings here in forum!

For users who use Alexa,  to help isolate the issue, it is recommend to turn off  Alexa 'Hunches' feature, it could be related to Hunches automatic actions.Here is a guide found online: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=G63YSH7WU32D9GW9

Options
2022-03-01 08:08:11 - last edited 2022-03-01 08:09:40

I also have an update to share...

I discovered back in December that my Omada Controller had accidentally set my 2.4 GHz channel width to 40 MHz on my homelab EAP245 v3 APs (previously they were set to 20 MHz).

After changing the channel width back to 20 MHz on the 2.4GHz band, the random reboots / disconnects I experienced in the past have not come back (fingers crossed).

Options
2022-03-14 23:25:20

@Solla-topee I'm new to the TPLink smartplug range and today configured my first KP105 for use with my 3d printer, but its power cycling every 30-60 secs so I can't use it until resolved.  I've followed the info in the threads and the device is on the latest firmware (1.07) as it updated the first time I connected to it with the kasa app.

I have connected it as the single device to a temporary guest 2.4g network on my sky router that has auto channel select, 20Mhz bandwidth WPA2-PSK (AES).  In the LAN IP settings I gven the device a fixed IP address (which I can see it is using). The power cycling happens even with a simple lamp load.  The led is solid green until power is lost, at which point the led goes off (not orange so not a WIFI drop issue). As soon as the  light comes back, teh lamp lights and TPLink led flashes green for less than a second before going solid green again.

Having proven that the issue happens on the isolated network I've renamed the wifi network back to my normal 2.4G (so that other devices in the house not on 5G could reconnect) and reconfigured the KP105 via kasa app to use the normal network.  Now its back on the local network I have looked in my Alexa app and it knows the TPLink device exists (it prompts me to add it but I havent).  I have looked in Alexa for the 'hunches' option but its not there (I'm in UK so maybe not an option?).

I have no other 'smart home' controllers in the network

I have also emailed the support team but added more info in the above.  According to the screenshot from the main.exe update routine the current firmware is 1.0.7 build 210506 rel 153510. hardware is v1.0

Any help appreciated as do need a smartplug that supports kasa in order to use my raspberry pi/octoprint plugin at the end of a print.  My other alexa controlled plugs are not kasa controllable unfortunately.

Options
2022-03-15 08:27:16 - last edited 2022-03-15 08:28:03

Hello @SuffolkD 

Try a different power socket for that KP105. 

• If factory reset KP105 plug and leave it in factory default state (flashing blue) does power cycling stop? 
  • to isolate the issue, try to connect KP105 to a mobile hotspot spot Wi-Fi and see if reboot stops? 

If reboot still happens in one of the above situations,it could be a faulty plug, try to contact retailer or local support to check warranty. 

If the reboot stops, plug could be affected by certain device/APPs  in your network, how many plugs do you have, do you have other KP105 which works fine in the same network?

Options
2022-03-15 08:51:00 - last edited 2022-03-15 08:52:35

Thanks will try that after work. I only have the one KP105 but have already tried it in different sockets (not extension leads). I realised overnight that my sky hub router doesn't isolate the wifi networks. there is no option for isolated guest network, so even though I renamed the 2.4G SSID, once the app and KP105 had connected to it it would be seen by the other devices that are on the 5G network - these are only a couple of oneplus Nord phones, Windows 11 PC, Ring doorbell and SkyQ box and mini. I bought it BNIB but from an ebay auction seller whose proceeds go to charity (stock in local argos etc was zero) so I'd rather resolve than return if possible. I'll try my mobile hotspot.  With the KP105 fctory defaulted and not connected to the app it still had the issue (from memory, will confirm later)

Options