Kasa devices reboot randomly

Kasa devices reboot randomly

52 Reply
Re:[Solution] Kasa devices reboot randomly
2022-03-15 12:34:09 - last edited 2022-03-15 12:35:16

@Solla-topee I factory reset the KP105, plugged a light in and manually switched it on. It stayed on for 7 mins then cycled, did it again after another 6 minutes, then again a minute later and after that every 24 seconds (+/- 1 second). The outer case temperature using an infrared sensor was 35 centrigrade (so just warm to touch). The KP105 led was toggling between orange and green all the time other than power cycles.

Options
2022-03-15 22:21:00 - last edited 2022-03-15 22:22:36

@Solla-topee 

I decided to buy another KP105 and that one works as expected, both 'out of the box' factory default and once configured in Kasa on the same wifi network as the first one. The only thing I haven't done yet is make the IP address static (a task for later this week). I've just had the new one running for just under an hour with the same lamp load and its not power cycled at all and the surface temperature of the KP105 maxed at a much cooler 26C (in a heated room). The replacement is now also on the 1.07 firmware, I couldn't see the original version as the app never gave any option other than to upgrade. The original is definitely faulty and probably has some internal thermal protection kicking in (which would explain the shorter cycle periods once warm). I contact the seller re a return/refund/replacement.

Options
2022-03-16 13:25:28 - last edited 2022-03-16 13:29:20

Hello   @SuffolkD 

If the plug keeps doing power-cycle in factory default state, that should be a faulty plug. Wish everything goes well in the process of replacing if that unit has the warranty.

Options
2022-04-01 12:59:40

@Solla-topee 

Is there any solution after several month?

Options
2022-04-18 16:33:00

I thought I was losing my mind until I found this (and other similar) threads on-line. 
I have two "Kasa Outdoor Smart Dimmer Plug" outlets used to control two different lights.

Both have the same device info:
Model: KP405

Hardware Version: 1.0

Firmware Version: 1.0.4

One started turning off and then usualy quickly coming back on again. I thought it was the light I was using it with at first, but then the other plug began doing the exact same thing.

A month or so ago both stopped doing this and were stable, until recently, just one of the plugs has begun doing this again, multiple times an hour. I have a ton of Kasa smart plugs and these two are the only two that noticable exhibit this behavior.

No firmware updates show as available for either plug... both are ~6mo old or so at this point.

What do I do?

Options
2022-04-19 02:04:46 - last edited 2022-04-19 02:11:00

Hello @daubstep 

May I know do you use any other app/ software to manage smart plug except for kasa APP? If yes, please uninstall app completely and test for a few days. 

At the same time, we 'd like to follow up your case through support email to investigate further, please check your email inbox for TKID220417943.

Options
2022-04-21 06:34:03

Hello   @daubstep  feel free to let us know for any further observation on support email TKID220417943, thanks!

Options
2022-07-28 03:11:01

@Solla-topee I just replaced my EP40 with a KP405 (wanted a dimmer). The EP40 worked flawlessly, but the KP405 will randomly reboot and it's been doing this since the 1st day. It's brand new (less than 2 weeks). The hardware is v1 and the firmware is v1.0.4. Should I return it or fiddle with installing this beta firmware?

Options
2022-07-29 10:27:59 - last edited 2022-07-29 10:35:09

Hello   @rickrickles 

As for now, KP405 does not have a beta or known related problem with it. You could try a factory reset on the KP405 and see if the plug has the same behavior  in the factory default state. If KP405 works fine in default state, that means the piece of hardware is fine, it might be affected by some other settings or local network device. 

Then you could try to connect to a Guest network of router to isolate the possible effects from other local networks and see if that helps.  Kindly try some tips lists in the first page of this thread  as well. 

Options
Re:Kasa devices reboot randomly
2022-08-06 17:47:30

Hello!

I purchased an HS220 dimmer switch approximately a month ago and it had been working fine up until this morning when it started randomly turning off and on. Some searching turned up this thread however my switch is a V3 switch on firmware 1.0.7 and it does not appear that there are any other firmware updates for it.

I've tried factory resetting it so far and it continues to turn itself off and on randomly. Also I am using HomeBridge to control our lights via. Apple HomeKit and I disabled HomeBridge to see if that made a difference and it does not. If it helps the lights on the switch itself (the white circle that comes on when the switch is off and the LEDs that show the current brightness) do not turn on or off when the random off and on behaviour occurs.

Hopefully you might be able to help me figure this out smiley

Thank you!

Options