Tapo L530E does not connect to protected Wi-Fi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Tapo L530E does not connect to protected Wi-Fi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
20 Reply
Re:Tapo L530E does not connect to protected Wi-Fi
2021-11-12 17:51:17
None of what you have posted here works. Some of them are silly as well, for example try a different phone, wth does this solve? Are you suggesting that byuers should have at least on dedicated phone in order to oppperate a couple of "smart" bulbs? This is absurd and totaly ridiculous. Bottom line is lamps are more than useles to operate them as advertised and nothing more than ordinary lamps of less than 1/10th of their value. Its looks like a scam from tp-link to try and direct you towards byung their own routers which are even worse and you heading towards loosing your stable internet connection and all that from byuing a colored lamp. If you count the hours spent trying to set them up, like myself and others you are facing a daunting experience.
Options
2021-12-09 02:21:01

Hello @Lanze thank you so much for sharing your solution here! May I have a chance to know what Wi-Fi SSID(how many digits) did  you use before on router HG8145V WPA/WPA2 PSK AES. and  the Model and OS of your phone, we will see if that could be reproduced, thank you. 

@David776698 Nice job! can I know the model of router, and the old SSID used on your Wi-Fi router, model and OS version of your phone, much appreciated!

Options
2021-12-09 02:25:47

Hello @akerman79 sorry for the late reply,  changing a different phone is one of the optional troubleshooting steps, we will keep update the possible fix there according to user's feedback.  Can I know some details, like model of router, phone OS if you've tried the above suggestions, thank you. 

Options
2021-12-13 10:05:20 - last edited 2021-12-13 10:09:32

Excuse me, but this is really my previous SSID.

Get Your Own Fucking Wi-Fi.

Im using a modified Xiaomi Poco X3 with pixel rom

Options
2021-12-13 12:39:45

@Lanze  Thank you for sharing the SSID you've tried, I will check with our team about it. Hope you have a nice day!

Options
2021-12-14 01:52:53

@akerman79 Try using my solution ;)

Options
2022-06-10 16:33:06 - last edited 2022-06-10 16:50:19

@Solla-topee 

' Try a Wi-Fi password less than 16 digits '

Please tell me that is a joke. Right?

Just bought a L510 bulb, and it's stuck at pairing. I presume this is because of the problem you highlighted, because my wifi password is longer than 16 digits.

Note that tapo's implementation does not conform to the WPA2 standard, which allows passwords up to 64-characters.

Will I change my wifi password to be less secure because of your implementation? Uh, no. I'll be returning this. Get it right next time.

(For reference, the standard in question is IEEE 802.11. If you *really* want to wade through the documentation, the example on page 4243 of the 802.11-2020 specification verseion includes this: "passPhrase is a sequence of between 8 and 63 ASCII-encoded characters. The limit of 63 comes from the need to distinguish between a pass-phrase and a PSK displayed as 64 hexadecimal characters")

Options
2022-06-13 02:14:44

Hello   @TheKentuckian 

That's one of the troubleshooting steps for test purpose, but not a compulsive step, I will add a note for it.

If router support Guest wifi you could try adjusting wifi settings on a Guest Network. 

If the same,  to look into the case further, may I know  steps you've tried, the  model of router, what is the model of your phone and its Android or IOS version?  Thank you.

Options
2022-08-19 08:41:50

I tried it with a different phone and it worked

Options
2023-02-25 14:03:07 - last edited 2023-02-25 15:06:07

@Negotiu I also had this problem - couldn't pair my L530E v2.0 with the Tapo app - it almost always got stuck at "Pairing your Tapo device", unless it was an unprotected WiFi.

TL;DR: The bulb cuts off the initial WiFi connection with the phone too soon - the Tapo app can't transfer the needed info to the bulb to complete the pairing process.

I finally discovered what the problem is. And guess what - none of the earlier mentioned solutions in this thread worked for me. Actually, some did, but rarely and without any regularity, so I couldn't point at any one of them and say - THAT fixed it for me.

Although, one of the solutions kind of pointed to what the real problem might be (in my case, at least):

• Try a Wi-Fi password less than 16 digits

I have managed to catch a glimpse of the problem - during the pairing process (while entering the WiFi SSID and pass for the bulb to connect to), the WiFi icon on my phone just disappeared. And the Tapo app was later again stuck at "Pairing your Tapo device", and then showed "Pairing failed".

Son of a b... After a million attempts, I finally found the damn problem. Of course the pairing gets stuck on "Pairing your Tapo device", if the initital WiFi connection between the phone and the bulb gets cut off TOO SOON - that means the Tapo app cannot send all the info required to the bulb to complete the pairing with the router. And (of course) there is no warning whatsoever that the bulb and the phone got disconnected - the app just plays dumb and tries to complete the pairing anyways, and fails.

After that I have tried to speed through the pairing process as quickly as possible, while retaining my (rather lengthy) WiFi SSID and password. And that worked. And it worked EVERY DAMN TIME when I tried to repeat the proccess, just to be sure I actually found the solution.

And the testing process was as follows:

1. Remove the bulb from the Tapo app
  2. Change my WiFi SSID and pass (to something also rather lengthy)
  3. Repeat the pairing process from start to finish (going through the process and inputting information as quickly as possible)
  4. Rinse and repeat

And as mentioned above - the pairing always succeeded, if I went through the pairing process quickly enough. If I was just a bit slow - the pairing failed because the initial WiFi link between the phone and the bulb disconnected too soon.

So, there is your problem (at least in my case) - the initial WiFi connection between the phone and the bulb gets cut off too soon, and the pairing process cannot be completed. Im guessing that has nothing to do with the phone, but instead with the bulb - it disconnects the phone too soon, before one can enter all the required info into the Tapo app. One does indeed have to be quite fast at inputting the data - that is most probably why VERY short passwords worked for some people. Also, I myself never had the phone self-disconnect from a properly functioning WiFi - I am quite certain I can put the blame on the bulb. Not the phone, not the router - but the bulb. There is a chance this might be a problem with my phone (Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite, Android 10), but I highly doubt that. And even if I could get another phone for testing - I wasted more than enough time for troubleshooting the pairing procedure with my current Mi A2 Lite.

Also, I'm guessing this can be corrected via a bulb firmware update, but only to some extent - when people will try to setup the bulb initially (out of the box) they are still going to get frustrated by the inabillity to pair and start using the bulb as intended.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but this problem really annoyed me (those "smart" bulbs of yours are too damn expensive to even have such problems in the first place), and I was happy that I finally managed to solve it.

Anyways, additional info, if some of it will be of any use:

Bulb: Tapo L530E v2.0

Phone and OS: Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite (Android 10) - haven't tried with any other phones.

Router and settings: TP-Link Archer C64 (firmware version 221010, both 2.4 and 5 GHz SSIDs active simultaneously without "Smart connect", all with WPA2/WPA3 Personal encryption combo) - bulb connected directly to router, no extenders used

Error message in Tapo app: gets stuck on "Pairing your Tapo device", and afterwards shows "Pairing failed".

Options