TP Link Archer A6 (US) keeps restarting if WAN cable is connected.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-23 18:58:30 - last edited 2021-11-23 20:13:53
Model: Archer A6  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.10 Build 20210513

Hello, 

I just bought a TP Link Archer A6 (US) v3.0 version which came installed with the latest available firmware version 1.0.10 20210513 rel.63256. 

I have a PPPoE connection, however I am unable to set it up with this router as whenever I plug the Ethernet cable provided by my ISP into the router's WAN port, the router goes into bootloop and keeps restarting itself. 

If I remove the Ethernet cable then the router boots up fine and I am able to log into the router's IP and play around with the settings via all available connection options- 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz and wired.

But as soon as I connect the Ethernet cable, the router goes into constant restart mode.

I have tried hard resetting the router but the issue still persists.

It can't be a problem with my ISPs ethernet cable as it is working completely fine with my older Mi Router 3C.

Is this a known issue with this router and if so, is there any known fix or workaround for it? 

Or does it sound like a potential hardware issue? 

Appreciate any info on this, thanks in advance.

EDIT- I just hooked up this Archer A6 router to my old router via DHCP by taking up a cable from my old router's LAN port to the Archer's WAN port and it surprisingly started working.

Internet is working perfectly fine on the Archer on this config.

Now I have no idea or theory as to why the main ethernet cable coming from the ISP makes the Archer go into bootloop. 🥲

Options
7 Reply
Re:TP Link Archer A6 (US) keeps restarting if WAN cable is connected.
2021-11-23 23:56:51

@Criminence 

Have you tried to configure the PPPoE settings on A6 before pluging the ISP cable ?

If the issue still persists contact your ISP to exclude any ethernet cable issues.

If the ISP cable has been confirmed good, contact your local TP-Link support to be advised on that abnormal behavior.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-11-25 06:15:14

@Criminence 

Hello, just out of curiosity, who is your ISP? Is there no modem provided by ISP?

Options
2021-11-25 06:22:56 - last edited 2021-11-25 06:28:28

@terziyski 

Yes actually if I do not connect the Ethernet cable I am able to configure the router settings but keeps restarting once I connect it. 

Since the cable is working fine with my older router, I have requested a replacement of the Archer A6 since it was under the replacement period. If the issue persists on the replaced Archer as well then I shall contact my ISP to get my ethernet cable checked. 

Options
2021-11-25 06:27:59

@Kevin_Z 

It's a local ISP here in Mumbai, India. I don't think you will be aware of them.. 

No they don't provide a modem for every apartment that has a connection. I have a rather slower internet plan compared to the normal 100+ Mbps speeds that we see now. 

I believe there's a a common modem for a set of apartments in my building but I'm not sure. 

Options
2021-11-26 10:34:03

@Criminence 

That would be an issue that we haven't been aware of. We recommend reaching out to the local tech support, so they can work with you in looking into the issue further or help with the replacement:
https://www.tp-link.com/support/contact-technical-support/#Hotline-Support

Options
2021-12-02 10:18:23 - last edited 2021-12-02 10:24:37

@Kevin_Z This issue persisted on the replaced A6 as well. I tried crimping up a new RJ45 connector just to rule that potential cause out and it didn't seem to solve the problem. 
At this point I called up my ISP, upon checking they informed me that this router is constantly restarting on my connection since its ethernet cable is very long up to the next relaying device (I presume the modem that is located somewhere in the building). This router doesn't support cables over longer distances, as confirmed by two troubleshooting methods:

1. Having my older Mi router plugged into the main ethernet connection and then connecting A6 via DHCP to it makes the A6 function properly. 

2. Having the A6 plugged into direct ethernet provided the next relaying device is not too far away (in terms of cable length) also worked fine. 

This is disappointing since my ethernet connection works perfectly fine with my older and lower spec'd Mi Router 3C, as well as the previous generation's Archer C5 which my ISP used for troubleshooting. 

I'm currently using my older Mi Router as a "middleman" for the A6 until my ISP provides a dedicated modem just for my apartment's connection.

Options
2021-12-03 07:34:06

@Criminence 

That's really weird. If you are willing to troubleshoot further, we would like to escalate your case to our engineers, the engineering team will investigate to see if it is a concern in the router that can be resolved.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 822

Replies: 7