Cannot get motion sensor switch (KS200M) to manual on/motion off

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Cannot get motion sensor switch (KS200M) to manual on/motion off

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
20 Reply
Re:Cannot get motion sensor switch (KS200M) to manual on/motion off
2023-01-14 20:08:38
Glad to hear this will be resolved. Just installed the switch and am amazed I could not override the switch from turning off while in the garage and out of site of the switch. A simple switch sequence or holding it down for 5 secs would put it in manual mode till it is turned off manually again would be great.
Options
2023-01-27 01:54:50

@diysam 

@diysam I own a KS220M which works fine except for this very same issue. I figured it was a bug in the firmware so I haven't made it a big deal hoping the sofware engineers would catch it rather quickly. though it is very annoying at night.

So my switch is installed in a bedroom.

During the day it's set to turn on via motion to the last dimm % if dark and then off if no motion is detected after 1 minute, for night time it's set to manual on to last dimm % and if no motion is detected after 1 minute then off.

it works as it should once its set to turn on and off via motion sensing.

the switch doesn't turn off once manually triggered via button press or even using the app.

I've tinkered with every setting the app provides and nothing fixes the issue.

once i have to manually turn the lights on i just keep a mental note that i will need to turn it off via the button/switch or using the app which is pretty much bedtime.

this zaps the whole essence of having a motion-sensing smart switch.

I have allot of motion-sensing switches which have minimal configuration capabilities in the sense of just a few preset configs and aren't considered smart but they all do exactly what they are programmed to do. 

i have until feb 11 to replace or return the item and if this issue isn't resolved by then I'll definitely be returning the item for a full refund in favor of other smart switches which are proven to work flawlessly out of the box.

Options
2023-02-02 03:17:59

I got an update today - "The official firmware to fix this issue is currently in beta and will be released shortly."

Options
2023-02-03 02:22:17

@diysam I'm all about beta testing. Feb 11 is right around the corner and I will not get stuck with a switch that's not working as the original purpose for puchasing it. I'm happy to test out any beta firmware available. It just needs to happen before feb 11. 

Options
2023-02-03 02:41:47

@diysam what update would that be. I'm on 1.0.9

Options
[Solution]Cannot get motion sensor switch (KS200M) to manual on/motion off-Solution
2023-02-03 03:17:03 - last edited 2023-03-24 02:52:33

Update 03/ 2023

@YanXS 

Hello everyone, 

Thank you very much for sharing feedback with ' Cannot get motion sensor switch (KS200M) to manual on/motion off' , here are some updates:

Description:

For KS200M or KS220M, in Smart Control settings, when the Trigger is set to Manual Only, the Smart Control may not take effect as expected 

Model: KS200M/KS220M(US) 1.0 

Solution: 

Update 03/ 2023 

• Fixed on KS200M 1.0 Firmware 1.0.11 

Ensure the firmware of your device is up to date 

• For model KS220M  1.0 next firmware update 

The firmware is in the still under test stage, ETA of release date is not yet confirmed. 

If you'd like to try beta the firmware or join the beta test: 

Please provide the device model & MAC address to  support.forum@tp-link.com with email tile ' Forum ID 593266+ Model + Description' , the our support will continue to help with your case.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-02-03 07:03:22

YanXS wrote

@diysam I'm all about beta testing. Feb 11 is right around the corner and I will not get stuck with a switch that's not working as the original purpose for puchasing it. I'm happy to test out any beta firmware available. It just needs to happen before feb 11. 

@YanXS 

We're fortunate to have freedom and luxury of choice to buy, return, replace most consumer items.   You could certainly return the items and restore your original switches.   I've kept a few of my old switches handy for testing and just in case.  I purchased a few spare Kasa switches on sale in case they fail over time like electronics can do.   I don't personally have experience with many other vendors, but from what I've read you may end up simply substituting one set of issues with another...  Some smart switches arent firmware upgradeable at all...

One example was I had a few KS220M in bedrooms..   I would learn that motions sensors weren't too practical for how the rooms were used.  Kasa would later add new long and double press features to their HS220 non motion sensing dimmers..  I am a little disappointed the same long and double press features have not yet been added to the KS220M motion sensing dimmer switches - but in fairness I had not bought them with those features in mind.  Luckily I was able to reuse the KS220M elsewhere.. and added HS220 dimmer only to the rooms.   If Kasa included the same features plus motion on HS220M along with the option to pause the motion sensing via maybe a long or double press.. then the KS220M may be the most versatile.

May not be pretty but the KS20M or KS200M could also be McGyvered into a stand alone / wired motion sensor..    Considering the Kasa smart switches are not much more than non smart brand name switches.. sometimes even cheaper even... it's not the biggest loss...   in the grand scheme...

Options
2023-02-20 03:47:59

@diysam I have a KS200M and 90% of the time it does exactly what I need - turn on when motion is detected and turn off if no motion is detected after 1 minute. I enable this with the smart control.

Sometimes though, I need the light on for a longer period than 1 minute if I'm not moving. To do this, I have to open the app, find the switch out of my 20+ other Kasa devices, then turn off the smart control. When I'm done in the room, I have to remember to turn the smart control back on.

I'd really like an easier way to disable/enable the smart control from the switch itself without going into the app. A long press or double press on the switch to toggle the smart control would be perfect.

Hope Kasa is listening. wink

Options
[Solution]Cannot get motion sensor switch (KS200M) to manual on/motion off
2023-03-06 14:52:35

@Solla-topee Same problem, please keep us in touch when firmware is updated.

Options
[Solution]Cannot get motion sensor switch (KS200M) to manual on/motion off
2023-03-09 01:59:51

Hi   @MartinLapointe 

Thank you for reaching out the community.The firmware test can take a certain amount of time before an official release would you try the above marked solution before an official release, thank you. 

Options

Tags

KS200M