H100 trigger via Alexa - possible?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-23 09:00:02 - last edited 2023-07-04 09:35:49

I've got a few Tapo (and Kasa) devices around the home, as well as an Echo Show, Blink doorbell and access to the Alexa infrastructure.

I can trigger Tapo devices via Alexa / Echo Show to "do stuff".  E.g. turn on my bedroom lamp when I ask Alexa to do it.

Would I be able to trigger the H100 to sound a chime from the Alexa / Echo Show, or can it only sound a chime when responding to one of the Tapo smart devices such as a sensor, switch etc etc? 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:H100 trigger via Alexa - possible?-Solution
2023-06-26 14:08:26 - last edited 2023-07-04 09:35:49

Replying to my own post to say this is very possible and quite straightforward; tested working with a Blink doorbell and the H100 chime, combined with an Echo Show 5 (plus Alexa app on my phone)

Whilst the H100 ring isn't immediately available from Alexa as an action (unlike, say, switching on a Tapo bulb would be), by luck I found that this works:-

- in the Tapo app, set a shortcut called "sound door chime" (or similar) and configure it to with the action "Smart Hub - Ring", with the appropriate ringer chosen and then a suitable duration (for me Doorbell 2 and 10 seconds)

- when you've done this, Alexa should recognise that a new "scene" has been created - your phone / your alexa device should tell you this

- then via the Alexa app set a routine e.g. called "door chime" which is triggered by the Blink doorbell pressed, and then add the Alexa custom action "turn on sound door chime"

Run it from a suitable echo / alexa device in the house, and it should mean that every time the Blink doorbell is pressed that the Tapo hub chime / ringer is activated.

A day's testing yesterday had this working (though at first I'd gone through using Tasker to achieve something similar, but that was over-complicated!)

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:H100 trigger via Alexa - possible?-Solution
2023-06-26 14:08:26 - last edited 2023-07-04 09:35:49

Replying to my own post to say this is very possible and quite straightforward; tested working with a Blink doorbell and the H100 chime, combined with an Echo Show 5 (plus Alexa app on my phone)

Whilst the H100 ring isn't immediately available from Alexa as an action (unlike, say, switching on a Tapo bulb would be), by luck I found that this works:-

- in the Tapo app, set a shortcut called "sound door chime" (or similar) and configure it to with the action "Smart Hub - Ring", with the appropriate ringer chosen and then a suitable duration (for me Doorbell 2 and 10 seconds)

- when you've done this, Alexa should recognise that a new "scene" has been created - your phone / your alexa device should tell you this

- then via the Alexa app set a routine e.g. called "door chime" which is triggered by the Blink doorbell pressed, and then add the Alexa custom action "turn on sound door chime"

Run it from a suitable echo / alexa device in the house, and it should mean that every time the Blink doorbell is pressed that the Tapo hub chime / ringer is activated.

A day's testing yesterday had this working (though at first I'd gone through using Tasker to achieve something similar, but that was over-complicated!)

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:H100 trigger via Alexa - possible?
2023-06-27 08:17:34

@larkim 

Thank you for sharing! Utilizing Alexa or Google is indeed a good way to run Tapo with your existing smart devices together.

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
Re:H100 trigger via Alexa - possible?
2023-06-27 09:25:51

@Wayne-TP No worries.

What would have been even better was if the H100 showed up as a basic device in both Alexa / Google Home.  In the same way that a light bulb would do.  

The workaround works fine for me, but a simple change to have the device immediately available to Alexa would have been even better and simpler to set up!  Hopefully a future firmware update or similar will see this functionality added?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 720

Replies: 3

Related Articles