Urgent: TP-Link Firmware Update Disrupts Home Assistant Integration — Request for Swift Resolution

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Urgent: TP-Link Firmware Update Disrupts Home Assistant Integration — Request for Swift Resolution

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-25 20:01:12
Model: Tapo L530E  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1

I am writing to express my concern over a recent firmware update that has disrupted the integration of my TP-Link smart bulbs with Home Assistant. While I understand that the update is a response to a security vulnerability highlighted in this article (https://www.infosecurity-magazine.com/news/tplink-smart-bulb-wifi-passwords/), the current "fix" has inadvertently created a significant issue for users like myself who rely on third-party automation systems.

As a loyal customer who owns multiple TP-Link products, including smart bulbs and cameras, I am disappointed to see the breakdown in the ecosystem I've invested time and money into building. The update seems to have taken an overly cautious approach by disabling the API entirely, thereby severing the link between the bulbs and Home Assistant.

While I appreciate the prompt attention to security concerns, a blanket disabling of the API is not the ideal solution. It inconveniences users by rendering integrations useless and also compromises the value proposition of your smart devices. I urge TP-Link to come up with a more nuanced solution that addresses the security issue without alienating your customer base.

I kindly request a quick resolution to this problem; otherwise, I'll be compelled to consider alternatives for my smart home setup. This would not only result in e-waste but also necessitate additional expenditures on new products that are compatible with Home Assistant.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. I look forward to your prompt response and a timely resolution that will restore the functionality I have come to expect from TP-Link devices.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Urgent: TP-Link Firmware Update Disrupts Home Assistant Integration — Request for Swift Resolution
2023-08-26 04:55:57

Plus 1 from me

Options
Re:Urgent: TP-Link Firmware Update Disrupts Home Assistant Integration — Request for Swift Resolution
2023-08-26 10:20:13

@Ste94 

I totally agree with the above message. I am a Home Assistant user. I use Tapo products within my Home Assistant setup and, overnight, all my Tapo light bulbs do not work within my Home Assistant setup. My automations using these light bulbs have stopped working. Please make them accessible to HA. In the meantime I will not be buying any more Tapo products until this issue is resolved.

Options
2023-08-28 13:21:04

I, too, was a bit frustrated by the fact that the firmware update disrupted the Home Assistant integration. There is, however, light at the end of the tunnel (pun intended).

I just had another look at HACS in Home Assistant and noticed there was an update available for the Tapo Controller. After installing version 2.7.0, the bulbs started working again.

Options
2023-08-28 18:40:29

@jm01 

Thanks for letting us know. 

Update had fixed the issue for me 

Options