Modem Requirement - Yes/NO
Modem Requirement - Yes/NO
2024-01-02 10:05:39
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hi, 

Just moved to Australia,

i have Fiber to the premises and the the box installed by NBN ( attached Photos)

I am planning to buy the TP-Link Deco X20(2-pack) AX1800 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi 6 System,

Not sure if NBN is any different to a standard Fiber connection worldwide

3 questions

1. Does the X20 require a Modem to work or is it already a Modem+ Router like the traditional Routers -  not too sure how mesh works ) 

2. If it does require a modem, what is the best alternative or what is the best pairing to install with this Mesh?

3. Is the NBN box already a Modem?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

File:
IMG_8442.jpegDownload
Options
4 Reply
Re:Modem Requirement - Yes/NO
2024-01-04 10:04:16

@saywhat86 

Hi, May I know who is your internet service provider?

It is suggested to refer to this link:

NBN Network in Australia

It seems like your NBN box is already a modem. Deco X20 is a wireless router.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2024-01-05 08:01:38 - last edited 2024-01-05 08:06:27

saywhat86 wrote

Not sure if NBN is any different to a standard Fiber connection worldwide

3 questions

1. Does the X20 require a Modem to work or is it already a Modem+ Router like the traditional Routers -  not too sure how mesh works ) 

@saywhat86 I'm not sure these connections use modem technology, I thought they were essentially media converters. But they do take ages to raise the internet connection so they appear to behave like a VDSL modem, so who knows?

Nevertheless that NBN box does provide plain Ethernet (I believe on the UNI-D 1 port, mine does) so I think you can just plug them straight into most Deco boxes.

The main point here is that they are definitely not a Modem+Router, there behavior is that of a modem in bridge mode (hence my belief they are a media converter).

So double-NAT should not a problem unless your ISP uses Carrier Grade NAT (CG-NAT) like mine does.

That linked document above points out that some ISPs use PPPoE which surprised me as I haven't heard of any myself.

But your ISP should be willing to provide you with your credentials.

Be aware I have heard but can't confirm (since I don't use them) that Telstra flat out refuse to give out any link configuration information at all so you mostly need to use their equipment.

Options
2024-01-05 16:08:15
i am using Origin
Options
2024-01-06 02:51:33

@saywhat86 right, the origin support page looks like it's plain old Dynamic IP. Basically DHCP so should be straight forward.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 282

Replies: 4

Related Articles