Starlight sensor

Starlight sensor

Starlight sensor
Starlight sensor
3 weeks ago - last edited a week ago
Model: Tapo C120  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.13

Is it how starlight sensor works on c120 model or I'm making something wrong?

well, nevertheless it seems it's a bug of firmware update. At least before the update to the version 1.1.13 starlight worked.

and now there isi eigher to wait a new update, or send the cameras back, buy a new one and never update it.Nightvision

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Starlight sensor -Solution

@Liatty 

Hi,
You can refer to the below thread to learn more about the starlight vision on the camera.
Starlight Night Vision: higher-quality image in low-light conditions

For the reported case, please help confirm the following information.
1. On the Tapo C120's Live View page, have you selected Auto mode for Video mode?

2. Please go to the camera's Device Settings> Video & Display>Night Vision page, and check if the Night Boost feature is enabled. If so, how about the Viewing Distance and White Light Settings?

Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
2 weeks ago - last edited a week ago

@Liatty 

Hi,
Generally, when selecting Auto mode on the Video Mode page, the camera will go into Day mode or Night mode according to the light conditions in the actual environment rather than prefer switching to Night mode.

The Night Boost option relates to the Video Mode settings, when the Auto mode is selected, the Night Boost will be enabled simultaneously, and when the Day/Night mode is selected, the Night Boost will be disabled. If you turn off the Night Boost mode, in default settings, the camera will change from Auto mode to Day mode.

The Starlight sensor works on the camera all the time no matter which mode you have selected, and you can refer to the instructions below to learn more about the Starlight vision on the camera.

I'm confused about the steps and pictures you described in the above post, can you share a video showing the reported phenomenon for further analysis? I'm informed you have contacted our tech team via email(ticket TAID2405004295), you can also send the video to the email.

Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply

@Liatty 

Hi,
You can refer to the below thread to learn more about the starlight vision on the camera.

For the reported case, please help confirm the following information.
1. On the Tapo C120's Live View page, have you selected Auto mode for Video mode?

2. Please go to the camera's Device Settings> Video & Display>Night Vision page, and check if the Night Boost feature is enabled. If so, how about the Viewing Distance and White Light Settings?

Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Starlight sensor
3 weeks ago

AutoHi  @Solla-topee ,

1. On Live View page Auto mode is selected

2. Night Boost feature is enabled with the White Light is off and Viewing distance set for Near View (Indoor )

sure, I did not take screenshot before firmware update, however i can say that the picture was much clear at night and colored. Now it's gone (

regards

Options
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

@Liatty 

Hi,
Thank you for the provided information. 
    1. Do you still remember the firmware version installed on the camera before version 1.1.13? 

2. Have you inserted an SD card into the camera for video recordings?
Best Regards

Options
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

@Liatty 

Well, it took a while to get it right. I even ordered a new Tapo C120 camera with preinstalled version 1.1.12. And after certain tests and experiments, I would say it's not a version or update problem. However, there is certainly an inconsistency in how the cameras work that creates these false sentiments that it happens after a certain point of no return.

It may be an expected way of working, nevertheless, I mentioned inconsistency because, with the same settings, the camera would deal differently with a dark environment and it will depend on the order of the settings.

First, in Auto mode, the camera would prefer the IK mode, regardless of the quantity of light present.

You have to go to Settings -> Video & Display -> Night Mode Settings and set Night Boost from ON to OFF

It will make a difference even though it switches camera automatically in Day Mode

And as you may see the Day Mode set automatically is different from Day Mode set intentionally.

Second, you have to return manually to Auto Mode and the camera will miraculously stay with the Starlight sensor On. All settings will be restored to the first step (with IR Mode active) as setting the Camera to Auto Mode automatically turns Night Boost on.

Finally, all this dancing around with settings when Night Boost automatically affects DAY/NIGHT/AUTO modes and vice versa, eventually the camera will find itself with Night Boost set to OFF as it helps to activate Starlight Sensor and DAY Mode set automatically and the result will be not so pleasant (especially when it becomes darker).

Furthermore, once again changing manually back to Auto mode left you feeling that Starlight sensor has been lost as soon as you have either IR- or a Bad- picture (this statement is probably more accurate when it becomes too dark for Starlight sensor).

Options
2 weeks ago - last edited a week ago

@Liatty 

Hi,
Generally, when selecting Auto mode on the Video Mode page, the camera will go into Day mode or Night mode according to the light conditions in the actual environment rather than prefer switching to Night mode.

The Night Boost option relates to the Video Mode settings, when the Auto mode is selected, the Night Boost will be enabled simultaneously, and when the Day/Night mode is selected, the Night Boost will be disabled. If you turn off the Night Boost mode, in default settings, the camera will change from Auto mode to Day mode.

The Starlight sensor works on the camera all the time no matter which mode you have selected, and you can refer to the instructions below to learn more about the Starlight vision on the camera.

I'm confused about the steps and pictures you described in the above post, can you share a video showing the reported phenomenon for further analysis? I'm informed you have contacted our tech team via email(ticket TAID2405004295), you can also send the video to the email.

Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
2 weeks ago

@Solla-topee thank you, Your descriptions are quite accurate. I've identified some of these simultanesmileyus  actions and looked through the instructions.

I will try my best to record these, only it may take some time between my actual jobs.

heart

Options
2 weeks ago

@Liatty 

Hi,
Thank you for your cooperation, and you can update the thread when you are convenient.
Best Regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 306

Replies: 7

Tags

Related Articles