Automating a heater

Automating a heater

Automating a heater
Automating a heater
2024-05-24 00:49:15 - last edited 2024-05-27 06:16:02
Model: Tapo T310  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I am trying to use a T310 and P110 plug to turn a heater on at 15 degrees and off when it is warmer than that, a simple thermostat control.  The sensor works fine and the plug works fine.   I can set up a "smart action" which turns the heater on at 15 degrees but despite trying every combination on on/off and conditional if, I cannot get it to go off when the temperature goes back  above 15 degrees. 

I must be suffering from a senior moment.  Can someone give me a basic step by step of what to put in each box so it goes on at less than 15 and goes off above 15?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Automating a heater-Solution
2024-05-27 06:15:58 - last edited 2024-05-28 09:08:50

@Portobello 

Two automation rules are required in your case. One is triggered when the temperature crosses over 15 degrees, and the other one is triggered when the temperature crosses below 15 degrees.

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Automating a heater-Solution
2024-05-27 06:15:58 - last edited 2024-05-28 09:08:50

@Portobello 

Two automation rules are required in your case. One is triggered when the temperature crosses over 15 degrees, and the other one is triggered when the temperature crosses below 15 degrees.

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Automating a heater
2024-05-27 09:08:36

@Wayne-TP 

I discovered that shortly after I wrote the query.  I thought "lets be silly and write 2 independent control rules and let's set them both trigger at 15 deg (that will confuse the system)", I was getting annoyed.   Son of a gun, it worked and was not confused by having the same temperature.  I also discovered that if I want to turn the heater off during the day I had to write a third control rule for the P110 plug.  So it's all working now but I do think the way I had to implement it was neither obvious nor elegant. It should be a single line for a very simple control command where a state changes either side of a single setpoint, this will be applicable to many things not just heaters.  For example, I don't think Tapo have a light sensor but it would be good to be able to program lights to come on when it gets to a certain level of darkness (dusk) and go off at a certain brightness (dawn).

I feel I should say that apart from the above poor experience, I have been impressed that the cameras, sensors, lights and switches I have bought recently have mostly installed easily and quickly and they mostly integrate well with Amazon Alexa. There was a major bug early on but that was because was auto-filling my WiFi password and it had a trailing space I didn't notice.  When I realised that, the installations have all gone well.  It may also help that I have a very stable, fast TP-Link mesh WiFi.

Options
Re:Automating a heater
2024-05-28 09:05:26

@Portobello 

My apology, actually i'm the one who got confused...

It's ok to set the same temperature value in your case, as the value-changing behavior is different, one is crossing over and then other is crossing below.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 119

Replies: 3

Related Articles