Tapo can't connect to wi-fi after modem change

2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago
Model: Tapo C200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Had to change my modem, so my wi-fi network now has a new name and password. I've reset the Tapo camera and removed it from my devices in my mobile app, and now I'm trying to set it up again. The phone can find the camera perfectly, and the camera's LED is blinking red and green. However, when I select my new network the camera tries to connect for a bit and then says it failed.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Tapo can't connect to wi-fi after modem change-Solution

@CayaRain 

Hi, 
If your camera fails to connect to the router's Wi-Fi, please confirm:
1. What's the model number of your router/modem? If your router's 2.4G and 5G Wi-Fi name are the same, change the 2.4G Wi-Fi name to a different one.

2. Ensure there are no special characters, such as space, $, &, etc., within the Wi-Fi name and password. If there are, change the name or password for a try.

3. Use your phone to confirm the 2.4G Wi-Fi name from the router is working. If your router/modem has special settings, such as firewall rules, antivirus rules, Mac filtering, etc., please disable or remove them for a try.

Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Tapo can't connect to wi-fi after modem change-Solution

@CayaRain 

Hi, 
If your camera fails to connect to the router's Wi-Fi, please confirm:
1. What's the model number of your router/modem? If your router's 2.4G and 5G Wi-Fi name are the same, change the 2.4G Wi-Fi name to a different one.

2. Ensure there are no special characters, such as space, $, &, etc., within the Wi-Fi name and password. If there are, change the name or password for a try.

3. Use your phone to confirm the 2.4G Wi-Fi name from the router is working. If your router/modem has special settings, such as firewall rules, antivirus rules, Mac filtering, etc., please disable or remove them for a try.

Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Tapo can't connect to wi-fi after modem change
2 weeks ago

@Solla-topee Thanks for your reply. I can confirm my 2.4G and 5G networks ahave different names and the only special character in their names is a dash. I can also confirm there are no firewalls or MAC restrictions, and we don't use antiviruses. Could anything else be the problem? Do dashes count as special characters?

Options
Re:Tapo can't connect to wi-fi after modem change
2 weeks ago

@CayaRain 

Hi,
It's suggested to change the Wi-Fi name for a try. If you don't want to change the Wi-Fi name, you can enable a guest network from the router/modem for the camera to connect.
Best Regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 126

Replies: 3

Related Articles