Using the C420 as an effective alarm siren

a week ago - last edited a week ago

Hi,

I was hoping to use the tapo devices to make an alarm system, with 2x C420 cameras providing not only video but also to be used as the external siren for the alarm.

ideally I'd want to arm the alarm when I leave the house, which I've found where to do this via geofencing, but when I set an automation to ring the alarm when a door is opened (which would be activated by me leaving) it doesn't give the option to use C420, even with its alarm function turned on.

Am I missing something here or is this type of action not supported?

if it's not then these devices will need to go back for a refund. Reason I chose the C420 was its hub support so all my recordings would be on the same large sd card.

any info greatly ap

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Using the C420 as an effective alarm siren-Solution

@Mike-Tapo 

Are you using the owner account of the C420? Make sure device firmware on C420 and the H200 are both updated. 

Tapo C420 is an available Action device in automation, but it does not support Play Sound.

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Using the C420 as an effective alarm siren-Solution

@Mike-Tapo 

Are you using the owner account of the C420? Make sure device firmware on C420 and the H200 are both updated. 

Tapo C420 is an available Action device in automation, but it does not support Play Sound.

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Using the C420 as an effective alarm siren
a week ago
Hi Wayne, thank you for your reply. Yes I am indeed, I have 2 C420 cameras loaded on and the H200 hub which came with my doorbell. Both are fully updated. The only action available in automation is to disable/enable privacy mode, which is useful for other actions, but not to scare a burgular away. Since we can play the alarm sound on the C420 manually, why can it not be done via an automation or a shortcut that can be used to make the alarm system fully functional. Cheers Mike
Options
a week ago

@Mike-Tapo 

Tapo C420 does not support play sound manually either. Are you thinking the Alarm On/Off on the camera page for this function? The Alarm On/Off option is used to control the camera detection alarm.

Options
a week ago
Hi Wayne, It does, if you go into the app, click on a C420 camera, go to its options, click on 'Alarm', enable it, go to alarm sound, it lets you play the 3 different options. Surely it wouldn't be that difficult to add this as an option? I was really hoping to use this as a replacement for my Yale Smart Alarm which has started playing up, but the hub being the only source of sound is not ideal, nor is it loud enough. It looks like others have requested similar features back in 2022: https://community.tp-link.com/en/smart-home/forum/topic/588194 This request is for the ability to manually turn on the alarm, but this could also be tied into a shortcut or automation? I find this whole IoT realm really frustrating, the products are usually very good, but miss a few basic things which would complete them.
Options