How to resolve common problems when setting up the Kasa smart device (Plug/Bulb)

Released On: 2018-11-05 12:19:52Last update time: 2021-02-16 18:32:20

Our Kasa app is designed to provide an easy step-by-step process to set up your new smart device. However, there may be instances where issues come up during the installation. This guide will try and provide steps to try in order to resolve your issue.

Case 1 

• Go into the “Settings > Wi-Fi” menu of your smartphone for Android or "Settings > Wi-Fi > Choose a network" for iOS, manually connect to the smart device's network. Open Kasa and select the option that you are manually connected to the smart device located on the bottom of the setup screen
  • Make certain you choose the correct smart device to connect to. The last four characters of the MAC address are also apart of the network name of the smart device.
  • Disable any VPN connection that your phone may be using during the setup.
  • Perform a factory default on the smart device and repeat the process.
  • If your Apple device is running iOS 14, check the app permission to allow local network access

Case 2

http://www.tp-link.com/res/upfile/faq/20151110064903.jpg

• Make sure the smart device is not connecting back to your home Wi-Fi network. If so, connect back to the TP-Link Wi-Fi network.
  • Reinstall the Kasa app on your smartphone.

Case 3

• When on the screen where you join the smart device to the network. The wireless network name you see above the wireless password box should be the one you normally connect to in order to receive internet, if not, select the link below to choose a different network name.
  • The wireless signal should be at least two bars, if it is one bar, move the device closer for setup.
  • If the router’s SSID is hidden, please choose “manually setup my Wi-Fi” to input SSID and password.

Case 4

http://www.tp-link.com/res/upfile/faq/20151110064943.jpg

• Wait 15 seconds then check LED status. If the smart device's LED indicates it is connected to the network or if the bulb blinks several times, do not select the option to start over. Sign out and back into the Kasa app and wait a few minutes to see whether the device is working.
  • Check to see if your phone is now connected back to your home Wi-Fi. If not, connect back, and go back to Kasa.
  • Verify that the wireless password being used is correct. Going into your phone Settings > Wi-Fi menu. Forget the wireless network that you are trying to connect the smart device to, and then reconnect. When the phone asks for the wireless password, use the same password that you tried in Kasa. Delete the password that exists in the box and enter the wireless password for your network again.
Comment

I installed a new router (ASUS RT-AX1800S) and now cannot connect my Kasa Smart. It was working before with very old and slow router but always said network was unstable. Not sure how to fix this. Any ideas? 

No instruction on how to do a Factory Reset #$#@#

Newest version of the app, i have about 26 smart light switches (all working ok for over 1.5 year, except one is now local only after a power outage), I have a smart plug (hs105).  I was notified that there is a firmware update for the plug, each time I attempt to update the firmware from 1.0.2 to 1.0.6 it fails. I have unplugged, made sure it was on the same network, verified it's IP address, etc.   App will not download the firmware and seems to time out.  Any suggestions?  I wanted to replace all my wyze smart plugs with kasa to stay with one brand, but not sure this is going to work.  Also the kasa 3-way switches I have purchased do not seem to work, but that is another issue (it might be a wiring issue, my electrician is puzzled).

KP400 dual receptacle

Any ideas why only plug #1 operates?

I have the same light strings connected (6 led lights each) on plugs 1 & 2.

Switch the strings, still only #1 operating correctly.

Tried manually to turn on #2, indicator light illuminates but not the string.

I own 2 KP400s, other operates fine.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks.

I have three EP25P2 Plug Slim. I have them set on Christmas lighting for hours 5:30 to 10:00pm. Two of them will shut off on their own during the ON time settings. I have to restart them with the app. I have reset them and this happened again tonight. Any help?

I bought two pan tilt cameras, models, EC70 and EC71.  Neither one will connect to my home Wi-Fi network.

i've called customer support four times and they can't fix the problem.

they always send me to my ISP and I called them four times and they also can't fix the problem.

I have a 2.4 G as well as a 5.0 G network they both have the same network name as do all Spectrum routers. (ie they assign one common name to both networks).  Customer support from TP Link tells me I need separate network names.  This makes no sense to me because they are two separate signals that happen to have the same network name. From the camera's point of view it's only going to see the 2.4 G network and that's what it should connect with. in the Kasa app when I supply the Wi-Fi name it does match the 2.4 G signal Wi-Fi network name.

So I'm not confident that I have been given the real reason why I can't connect.

The key for me was connect to the TP-Link Wi-Fi network not my home network. Thanks to Steverino (2019-02-16 11:52:39) and to Case 2.

I bought 4 HS103P4 smart plugs specifically because it is supposed to be compatible with my Echo Dot

I got the plugs to connect in the Kasa App and Alexa even recognizes them.

How do I create a schedule so that lights turn on and off when I am not at home?

Can anybody give me step-by-step instructions?  I am not that tech savvy.

upload
    upload