Some frequently asked questions about TP-Link smart plug and Kasa APP

Released On: 2018-11-27 07:40:50Last update time: 2018-11-27 07:40:50

For basic/advanced settings of Smart Plug/Switch, please refer to following FAQs:

How to connect my TP-LINK Smart Plug to my home network via Kasa?

How to connect my TP-LINK Smart Switch to my home network via Kasa?

How to create a Cloud Account for my TP-LINK Smart Plug in Kasa to allow Kasa to control it remotely?

Advanced settings introduction of TP-LINK Smart Plug in Kasa APP.

How to update firmware of Smart Devices in Kasa App?

Q: Can I plug in a power strip to the smart plug?

A: Yes, you can plug a power strip into a TP-Link Smart Plug and turn it on/off via the Kasa app or voice command with Amazon Echo/Google Assistant. The total draw and wattage of devices plugged into the power strip should be within the rated amperage and wattage of the Smart Plug.

Q:  Can the Smart Plug/Switch control multiple lights?

A:  Yes, they can as long as the total current draw and wattage does not exceed the rated amperage and wattage of the Smart Plug/Switch.

Q:  Does the Smart Plug block both plugs on the socket panel? 

A:  Yes it is possible, but it depends on the model of smart plug you are using.  If outlet access is a concern we recomend using the HS103, HS105 or HS107.

Q:  Can I use Smart Plug/Switch on my TV so that Alexa/Google Assistant/Home Kit can turn on/off the TV with voice?

A:  No, most TVs go into standby mode when you turn them off. Since the smart plug shuts off all power once the TV is turned off it would need to be manually turned on after power is restored.

Q:  Can TP-Link Smart Plug/Switch work with Apple Home Kit?

A:  No, our smart devices doesn’t support Apple Home Kit, however we are working on compatiblity and hope to have it finished soon.

Q:  Can multiple plugs/switches work with Amazon echo? If so, do I need to use separate names for each smart plug?

A:  Yes. While you’re setting them up in the KASA app, you will get the opportunity to set a custom name and icon for each smart device.  When you pair them to Alexa, you also can divide the smart plugs into group to control them. 

For example, you have two plugs, you could name one "Table lamp" and the other one "tree lamp”.  Then group them to be "living room lamps." Then you can ask Alexa to operate then separately or both. 

Q:  Can I ask Alexa "turn off power after 30 minutes" since KASA app has timer?

A:  No, Alexa doesn’t support KASA’s timer functions.

Q:  Do I need to buy Smart bulbs to be able to control lights with Alexa using your smart plug/switch? 

A:  No smart bulbs are not needed. The switch will control whatever is on the circuit that it's installed on, and Alexa will provide voice control for that device.

Q:  Is HS200/HS210KIT a dimmer?

A:  No, HS200/HS210KIT does not have dimmer feature. HS220 is a dimmer switch but it’s only two-way.

Q:  Can I manually turn on/off the lamp/other devices via the switch on the HS200?

A:  Yes, when the HS200 is connected to the electrical system properly, you will be able to control the lamp/other devices in the system manually.

Q:  Can HS200 work at two wires circuit?

A:  No, you will need at least three wires: Live, Load, and Neutral for the HS200 to work.

Q:  Can the HS200 work on two-pole switch as long as the other switch is always on?

A:  Possibly, but only after some circuit modification.  We don’t recommend you to do this, and can’t provide technical support for this kind of application.  Should you want to proceed, we strongly suggest you hire a professional electrician to install it.

Q:  Can the HS200 switch be used in a three-way switch light combination (two switches controlling one light)?

A:  It is possible, but only after some circuit modification.  We don’t recommend you to do this, and can’t provide technical support for this kind of application.  We offer the HS210 Kit for a 3-way circuit and recommend this be used instead.

Q:  Can I use HS210 KIT with ordinary three-way switch?

A:  Yes, but you have to connect only one HS210 to Line wire and the ordinary three-way switch to Load wire.

Comment

Everyone,

After speaking with our engineers we have been given a Beta firmware that aims to imrpove your experiance and the connection reliablity of the HS105

Firmware information can be found here:

For Windows OS:
1. Connect your Windows PC to the same Wi-Fi network as HS105. Then download the firmware and update tool from the link below.
http://support.tp-link.com/f/fdc0d38c35/?dl=1
2. Extract the file and double click main.exe to run the application.
3. Click Scan. Then the upgrade tool will find the plug.
4. Choose the device and click Upgrade.
Note: when you finish upgrading the firmware using our upgrade tool, it may show an "Upgrade fail", while actually it is not. Please do not worry about it. You can check the firmware version (1.5.3) from your Kasa App and see whether the upgrading is successful.

For Mac OS:
1. Download the upgrade tool from the link below on your Mac.
http://support.tp-link.com/f/5eb9e972ae/?dl=1
2. Extract the zip file and then double click start.command to run the tool in the same network with your plug.
Note: If it reminds that the application is not trusted and cannot open. Please go to "System Preferences" -> "Security & Privacy" -> "Open Anyway". Then run the start.command application.
3. Click scan button to scan for your plug.
4. Select the plug and then click upgade button to upgrade the plug/bulb to the beta firmware.

This firmware is currenlty in testing and we anticpate it to be an offical release in Q1 of this year.  

HS100 acting the same way. All of my Kasa switches are working fine. Plug shows strong signal(-38 dBm). Would really like a firmware update before I look for a different switch(just got it a month or two ago).

Bump... Connection issues here. Need resolution or replacement device. 

I have 22 tp-link smart devices (mini plugs, hs-200, and hs-210) all frequently drop connection. It's random, sometimes it's 1 device and sometimes it's all of them at once. When they drop sometimes the switch displays a solid green wifi. My network is fine and other device can connect and access the network without issue. I've tried the troubleshooting methods without success. Getting tired of having to reset and reconnect the devices. All devices are new, purchased and installed within the last 60 days. It would be nice to be able to refresh or reconnect the switches from the app. Also it would be nice to see the signal strength for each device within the Kasa app. Please work on a fix. 

I purchased a new router last night (Netgear R7000P) and the issue is still there. What could be causing this problem? 

I had this issue and solved by getting a TPLink Deco M5 mesh network router. It handles more connections via wifi at once. 

I have the same issue with 3 TP-Link Smart Switches (to control chandeliers) and 3 of their Smart Bulbs (in lamps). Latest firmware. Both the smart dimmers and the smart bulbs will work for a day or 2, and then I have either press the reset button on the switches or remove and re-install the bulbs.  Always at random, sometimes its 1, sometimes 2 or 3 at the same time.. I have enough products to make it very annoying to go alllll around the house doing this almost every day! I have installed another manufacuters smart switch as a test, its been 2 weeks and not one disconnect. Do I really have to remove all TP Link products from my home? It would be a total shame as I really like the design look of the switches and the functionality of the app. Decisions, decisions..

My HS200 switches are also having issues lately.  This makes them very undependable and basically useless to me.  If TP-Link cannot resolve this they need to issue a refund for all my non-functioning switches. 

Willing to test beta firmware and help out if TP-link wants to message me directly.

Bought one HS100 plug before deciding which brand to go for. Have same issues. If I recycle power on the router the HS100 will not reconnect to the WiFi.

Unplugging and replugging the HS100 solves it.

Any developments on this?

Does the updated firmware work?

upload
    upload