TL-WR902AC Fails to Connect to the Internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-01-17 23:15:23
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I bought five of these travel routers (TL-WR902AC) to overcome a militant security posture in my office...that is, we have mobile clients to support frequent travel, but our security folks have disabled the wifi in BIOS and won't allow us to re-enable it because we work in a secure area. These devices seemed like an easy solution for our travelers, but I am struggling to make them work.

I am configuring in client mode, and my laptop gets a DHCP address from the device to support configuration just fine. However, in the final step and saving configuration, the router isn't connecting to host wifi...but only in SOME cases. When I used my phone's wifi hotspot, connecting via WPA/PSK2, it worked just fine. When I connected to home wifi (same security standard) or a hotel wifi (open wifi), however, my connection fails. My IP is being set to 169.254.*.*/16.

I have attempted use of a static IP, which keeps me connected to the travel router, but does not seem to join the host network. I have ensured that the DHCP server is turned off during setup to no avail. I can't seem to find any output that might let me know why my connections are failing. It appears to me that something is failing during authentication or address assignment.

Keep in mind that my rights are extremely restricted on the mobile laptops that we use...I can't even set an IP address.

Any ideas?
Options
1 Reply
Re:TL-WR902AC Fails to Connect to the Internet
2018-02-10 06:49:53
Alrighty then. Guess I'll just assume that it is a useless piece of garbage, which appropriately matches the support that is available for it.

Lesson learned...ZyXel FTW.
Options