HS110 spontaneously lost power

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-01-18 17:16:32
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have an HS110 smart plug, and noticed today that it had no power. There were no lights at all, like it lacked power from the outlet; nor could it be reached inside the Kasa app. I unplugged the HS110 and plugged my freezer directly into the wall, and it powered right up(unfortunately, it appears to have been without power for most of the day). I plugged the HS110 into another outlet and it too powered up. The HS110 had been working in this location for months without issue, and the plug hasn't been disturbed at all; and the outlet clearly had power for the full duration. Though the HS110 seems functional at the moment, I'm obviously a bit wary of it. My first question is what should I do? Without finding a cause I'm a bit unwilling to trust these plugs. Has this issue been seen before? I had noticed in the past that there is a delay when plugging in the HS110 before it turns on power to the device. I'm sure there is some logic here(perhaps preventing an unnecessary power cycle by turning on a device that you'll have to immediately shut off once the plug finishes booting and checks what state it is supposed to be in), but now I'm wondering if these devices are inherently risky with the lack of a default-on if the "smart" part of the plug breaks. I appreciate any relevant feedback or help. Thanks for reading.
Options
5 Reply
Re:HS110 spontaneously lost power
2018-01-19 02:48:09
IMHO (you did ask for relevant feedback...) it's wise to be wary of any smart switch. TP Link's are better than belkin wemo in this respect - they let you pick the recovery state. But it adds one more point of failure so not a good choice for "mission critical" things like fridges and freezers unless absolutely necessary.

My guess would be the switch crashed and failed to restart properly, but it's probably not all that important (neither the actual cause nor my guess...). If I were to use this on a freezer I'd use it only while I was at home to monitor, then note the power use and make my own calculations from there. Assuming of course you don't need to turn the fridge on or off using automation or remotely...
Options
2018-01-19 15:56:13
Thanks MikeP. I have indeed been using it to remotely power down the freezer briefly, to ensure it doesn't kick on during an OhmConnect.com OhmHour. I will certainly be more careful with the plugs from now on though.

MikeP_AutomationManager wrote

[...] TP Link's are better than belkin wemo in this respect - they let you pick the recovery state.

Interesting. I haven't seen an option relating to recovery state. I know it will remember its last state if unplugged or power fails; is this what you refer to?
Options
2018-01-19 23:48:13
Yep, mainly, and I thought I'd noticed you could set the power on condition too but that might be just for bulbs (or my poor memory, it's been a while since I've used Kasa).
Options
2020-01-02 20:05:22 - last edited 2020-01-02 20:07:00

@plwww Same issue but with a heater in my bathroom.  It stopped working.  I can turn it on and off but it does not deliver power to the heater.  I do notice that the heater powre light flashed each time I turn the unit on.

If I polug the u

heater right int o the wall it works.  All the lights work on the unit and I can and hear it turn on and off remotely with my phone but anything plugged into it does not ge power.

I have factory reset it more than once by pressing and holding the button on top but to no avail.

Options
2020-01-23 04:36:09

@plwww 

First thing I would do is find out how many amps the freezer pulls, and compare to Kasa switch max amp draw. It may have exceeded, gotten hot, and shut down. I have the Kasa plug mini's, and max amp is 10 amps. Our circuits are 15 amp. So you must know the device pulls less that 10 amps to use the switch. Personally I would NEVER use a switch on a device That should never be turned off. Makes no sense, waste if a switch, and causes a potential unnecessary problem.

If you buy the "Shelly1" switch, it is good to 20 amps, meaning the breaker would trip before over heating the switch. The Shelly is also UL listed. So your home owners wouldn't deny a fire claim because if the switch.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2218

Replies: 5