How to disable the DHCP server in the TL-WPA9610

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

How to disable the DHCP server in the TL-WPA9610

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
46 Reply
Re:How to disable the DHCP server in the TL-WPA9610
2019-12-31 20:49:59

@latone 

Having the same trouble with TL-WPA7510.  Power went out at client, and it started handing out it's own DHCP, and caused a lot of grief.  THIS NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED, TP-LINK.

Options
2020-01-20 16:05:55

Same problem here with 8630  units. If the primary router is powered down for any length of time, the TP-Link unit starts handing out DHCP addresses and referencing itself (192.168.0.254) as the gateway. This totally screws up clients and the network, even after the router is back online.

The only fix is to power up devices in the following sequence: Modem, edge router, TP-Link powerline units,. Then reboot the clients so they acquire the correct IP, this means power cycling smartTV's and all kinds of other pain-in-the-rear things.

This is toxic behavior.

TP-Link: Please add an option in the setting to permanently disable the DHCP function in these units. 

I get why it's there, to make initial set up easier, but once I've set it up, please, please, give us a way to shut off that DHCP service. Your mobile app is always able to find them as long as they are connected to the network, or the mobile on the extenders wifi.

Options
2020-01-31 14:37:34

@latone 

My TL-WPA4220 also started dishing out IP addreses since yesterday (switching dhcp servers on the lan)
This is SUPER annoying, please, TPLINK, Fix this as this is serious unwanted behaviour and can cause some huge problems if not for people like us who kinda know what we're doing, let alone the general user who just thinks your product broke their network.

Options
2020-02-08 16:09:00

I have the same problem with a WPA8630P wireless extender (V2 on the latest firmware).  When first powered up, it sits nicely and behaves itself and then within a day or two, it decides to become the DHCP server on my network.  The biggest problem of course is that it serves out it's own IP address as the gateway address so nothing can then connect to the internet.

Come on TP-Link - fix this.  The device is useless as it stands

Options
Re:How to disable the DHCP server in the TL-WPA9610 (TL-WPA7510 etc..)
2020-03-01 19:12:43

TP Link,

I have exactly the same issue with a TL-WPA7510. It has caused no end of grief on my network as we experience frequent power cuts in my area. To narrow it down for you guys:

1.I plugged the powerline adapter in and switched on at the power socket:

This is the log I see:

####################################################################

TL-WPA7510 system log

H-Ver = TL-WPA7510 v2.0 : S-Ver = 2.0.2 Build 20190610 Rel.50850

0 days 00:00:04          OTHERS     INFO    System started.

0 days 00:00:04          WIFI-SCHEDULES   INFO    Wifi schedules disabled.

0 days 00:00:05          LED-SCHEDULES   INFO    Led schedules disabled.

0 days 00:00:05          WIFI-SCHEDULES   INFO    Wifi schedules disabled.

0 days 00:00:25          DHCPS      INFO    DHCP server started

0 days 00:00:29          MAC-FILTER   INFO    Access control disabled.

0 days 00:00:29          PARENTAL-CONTROLS   INFO    Parental control disabled.

0 days 00:00:50          DHCPS      INFO    DHCP server stopped

So DHCP server active for circa 25 seconds from power on - cold reboot...

---

2.Rebooting (not cold - warm, just clicking on reboot from the admin screen of the web interface I see the following logging)

TL-WPA7510 system log

0 days 00:00:27          MAC-FILTER   INFO    Access control disabled.

0 days 00:00:27          PARENTAL-CONTROLS   INFO    Parental control disabled.

So no DHCP server started from a warm reboot..

---

Ok, so maybe it's only starting a DHCP server when you cold boot it? 

3.Turn off/on power to powerline adapter again and checking logging afterwards:

TL-WPA7510 system log

0 days 00:00:27          DHCPS      INFO    DHCP server started

0 days 00:00:30          MAC-FILTER   INFO    Access control disabled.

0 days 00:00:30          PARENTAL-CONTROLS   INFO    Parental control disabled.

0 days 00:00:32          DHCPS      INFO    DHCP server stopped

So, once again it's starting a DHCP server, although it shuts it down more quickly... (after 5 secs this time) - wonder what the difference is? Still, there's a window where there's a bogus DHCP server running causing havoc at (cold boot) power on time as there'll be loads of devices broadcasting DHCP requests following a power outage...

---

So, looks like there's a race condition of somewhere between 5 and 25 seconds where your device will cause havoc on a network because it's starting a DHCP server and giving out bogus details. In power outage/recovery scenarios: a router (running a DHCP server) and the tplink devices starting at the same time this is exactly the type of race condition that happens. This is compounded by loads of devices sending out DHCP client requests (all turned on at the same time as router and TPLink Powerline adapters). I've seen it do exactly this on my network, as an earlier poster has said.

BTW, I had two of these TL-WPA7510 devices on my network at one point and following a power outage they *both* started bogus DHCP servers. They ended up pointing at each other for default g/w addresses, despite both having been setup with static IP address details :-( This caused total mayhem on my network.

Two requests:

Either

1. Give us an option to totally disable this DHCP server behaviour in your Web interface(yep I can understand why it's there for initial config/setup but it's no use after that). If you must have it there, maybe it's only relevent following a factory reset config or 1st time setup?

2. Can you give us command line access to your router (I'm assuming it's a variant of linux like just about every other networking device out there), so we can go in and disable ourselves?  I'd install dd-wrt or openwrt on these powerline adapters if I could but haven't found an opensource f/w variant yet. If you know different please let me know :-)

BTW, please don't tell us that you don't have a DHCP server running as the above logging and behaviour we're observing proves you do (even though you shouldn't) ;)  Can you give us a timeline for when this will be looked at and addressed? If you need help with reproduction/analysis to isolate the issue, let us know too.  I suspect this behaviour is hitting loads of people following a power cut BTW but they just don't realise it.

Many Thanks,

Doug

Options
2020-03-26 07:14:59

Hello,

I have exactely the same problem... My 4220 sends IP address on my network while there no options to desactivates it... Any solutions ?

Options
2020-04-02 14:16:43

@latone No support ? No one is going to help us ???? I can't believe there is no support for that !

Options
2020-04-29 13:16:55

Dear all, I have the very same problem with my RE305. I some special situations the DHCP server restarts with nasty consequences on the entire LAN. This happens either in the 'extender mode' and in the 'AP mode'. It is quite annoying. I second the request to introduce the possibility to switch the DHCP server off completely.

I hope that TPLink support will solve this issue. It is a big handicap for these otherwise fine and neat products.

Options
2020-05-13 15:04:55

I have exactly this problem with a TL-WAP8630P and it's causing me no end of problems on the network.  PLEASE TP Link give us an option to turn off the DHCP server on these things.

Options
2020-05-15 11:02:53

I have the same issue with TL-WPA4220 Kit, but I didn't notice any power cut sad

Please TP-Link go further with this!

Options