TL-WA901ND V5 in client mode loses connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-04-02 01:30:53
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I am upstairs from a wireless router. I use a TL-WA901ND V5 in client mode to provide an ethernet connection to my Linux computer. This gives me excellent internet connection speed most of the time.

Sometimes the connection breaks. My computer indicates a lost connection. Simply restarting the TPlink does not work.
The most reliable way to get it back is to shutdown the computer, turn off the TPlink, turn it back on, wait for it to finish connecting. Then, turn the TPlink off a second time, turn it back on, wait for it to finish connecting. Then boot my computer, and usually the connection is fine.
It is important to restart the TPlink twice.

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Steve
Options
3 Reply
Re:TL-WA901ND V5 in client mode loses connection
2018-04-02 16:16:52
When it loses connection, is your main router still working properly?
How about just restart your main router? does it get tplink work again?
try to update the latest FW for tp.
Options
Re:TL-WA901ND V5 in client mode loses connection
2018-04-02 20:18:22

Shield101 wrote

When it loses connection, is your main router still working properly?
How about just restart your main router? does it get tplink work again?
try to update the latest FW for tp.

The main router is working fine when the TPlink goes down. My laptop is on WiFi and it works fine.
I have not tried restarting the main router for this reason.

I did think of updating the FW, but I could not find it. Searching I am sent to this page:
https://www.tp-link.com/us/download/TL-WA901ND_V5.html
Selecting V5 (which is what I have), the FW button goes away. I conclude that there is no new FW available.

Thanks,
Steve
Options
I think I have it fixed
2018-04-07 22:05:47
I finally thought to use a Wifi sniffer app on my phone to see what else is in our area. There are a number if signals (4? 6?) in the channel our router uses. I also found that moving the TPLink unit across the room improved my signal by 5dB. The connection has been solid for two days now, far longer than ever before.

Thanks again for the reply,
Steve
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2005

Replies: 3