Archer C1200 - glacial wireless speed, poor connection quality

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-04-04 12:47:27
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hey folks,

I recently purchased a TP-Link Archer C1200 to replace my
TL-WR841N which lacked gigabit ports, but otherwise was a decent piece of hardware.

Upon installation, I was happy to find an increase in download speeds on my
wired machine from 90Mbps up to 130Mbps. However, the wireless connection has been a huge step back.

I live in a small apartment and have always had high signal quality, full bars across my whole apartment. With the C1200, I have 2 or maybe 3 bars of quality, even right near the router. Occasionally I see that fluctuate up, but it's consistently poor quality of connection. In addition, my wireless download speeds have now plummeted. I was getting 90Mbps over wireless with the TL-WR841N, and now I'm seeing nothing greater than 50Mbps (across mobile devices and a wireless PC), and usually more like 25-35Mbps. I'm stumped, as I've messed with the settings all I can and not seen an improvement. I'm going to have to return this unit if it can't at least match my last-gen router. My old router had nothing special set, all auto channels as far as I know.

In addition, the 5Ghz band seems to behave worse than the 2.4Ghz, so I've been using 2.4 only.

Steps I've Taken:
[FONT=arial]
-
[/FONT] tried all the channels by themselves
- changed the channel width
- tried each wireless mode
- changed the security/version and encryption settings

I'm fairly certain that the problem is not my other hardware, because again the old router
saw 90Mbps download over wifi. I literally ran a speedtest on the old router, swapped out with the C1200 and re-ran the speedtest. FWIW my main PC that is running wireless shows the Windows WiFi Status Speed to be: 144Mpbs

I am no networking expert, so I can only assume there's some setting or something I'm missing. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!
Adam

Specs:

TP-Link Archer C1200
Firmware: 3.0.4 Build 20180122 rel.42880 (US)
Hardware: Archer C1200 v3.0
Wired: 135Mbps
Wireless: <50Mbps
Channel/Width: Auto
Mode:
802.11b/g/n mixed
Options
2 Reply
Re:Archer C1200 - glacial wireless speed, poor connection quality
2020-06-08 20:06:07
Getting similar issues.. any resolution so far?
Options
Re:Archer C1200 - glacial wireless speed, poor connection quality
2020-07-02 17:28:16

@Sammit 

I too started experience the same problem from last week. When connected via Lan I am getting 50mbps speed both download/upload however connected through wireless download speed dropped to 20mbps and upload remains 50mbps.

No clue and tried all options available given in website.

Sammit wrote

Getting similar issues.. any resolution so far?

Options