Deco M5 Pi-Hole compatability

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-07-27 01:17:30
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Has anyone been successful in configuring a Pi-hole with the Deco M5? I set up my Pi-hole & verified it worked with a single computer. Then, I modified the M5's DHCP settings to point the DNS server to the Pi-hole and the M5 wouldn't boot properly after that.

Since the M5 has no web page and only the app, this was quite a frustrating process because it wouldn't allow me to see the M5 from the app and with no web page, the only option I had was to factory reset the M5 (Actually all 3 of them). I tried it again after double checking all settings to see if I did something wrong the first time but ended up with the same results and another factory reset.

My guess is that the Deco needs to "phone home" before it finishes fully booting and you get stuck since the Pi-hole can't get out to retrieve "home" since the Deco isn't booted.

Seems like some flaw when we should be able to set the WAN DNS separately from the LAN DNS & we should also be able to somehow change the settings in the M5 when something like this happens rather than having to factory reset.
Options
13 Reply
Re:Deco M5 Pi-Hole compatability
2018-07-27 16:20:34
Hi,

I don't know if this helps or not, but my Pihole is working fine.

I introduced to to an existing Deco network. I set up the pi, used Deco app to give the Pi a static IP, and then installed Pihole. I then set Deco DNS to the Pi.

Everything works fine as far as im aware. Im not using the Pihole DHCP mind. And the Deco is in Router mode
Options
2018-08-14 00:45:54
I have the exact same situation as ggilman. Have You been able to get them to co-exist? Question to marcbush86. Did You leave secondary DNS blank in the settings page?
Options
2018-08-15 00:42:28
I set the secondary dns to the same one I used on the pihole which was opendns. So if your pihole ever fails at least other devices still have a DNS to use.
Options
Does it prevent ads 100%
2018-08-17 02:34:13
Hi again marcbush86. Some threads elsewhere suggest that opendns (or other public DNS) as secondary in the router will cause ads to slip through because the secondary dns will be used in approx. 50% of the requests from Your clients. So, can You confirm that your setup really prevent ALL ads?Brgds. nergruht Link: https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/why-should-pi-hole-be-my-only-dns-server/3376
Options
2018-08-18 00:09:55
I have the same question as nergruht. I acutally posted it a couple of days ago but it didn't show up... Anyway, from my research, some ads should be getting through if you have a DNS server in the 2ndary dns slot. As part of my own testing, at one point I had a 2ndary DNS setup and during testing on my own systems, ads were getting through. The m5 system did work fine in this mode but ads were getting through.

From my research, the behvior of having a secondary dns server address is not consistent; it varies by OS. Most use some scheme to balance the requests so they send half of the requests to the primary and half to the secondary. This somewhat defeats the purpose of a pi-hole.
Options
2018-08-18 00:17:24
Reading another thread, the m5 got a new firmware 2 days ago that I was unaware of. The first update is "1. Added custom configuraiton options for LAN IP and DHCP server". Curious if the DHCP server options are enough to solve the problem I experienced.
Options
2018-08-18 02:31:48
I honestly cant say if I saw any ads getting through. Although my browsers on laptops and iPads etc all have adblockers on as well.

Sadly the pi has died so I don't have a pihole anymore but I may try again in the future.
Options
2018-08-18 05:05:45
When I tested with my HTPC-settings to pi-hole as primary and secondary it worked better than I ever could have expected. Readable pages everywhere without annoying ads screaming at my eyes an mind. Unfortunately I don’t want to set values manually, want them by dhcp. If I find a solution I’ll try to remember to notify you ggilman. I hope you’ll do the same to me. Brgds
Options
2018-08-25 02:55:22
ATM I’m trying Quad9 dns rather than messing about with the pi-hole. Seems to do the job. Actually a bit better in one way, pi-hole prevented an online streaming-site that I occasionally use, it works with 9.9.9.9 as dns server :-)
Options
2020-05-13 19:44:07

@ggilman any update on this? I have the exact same issue

- setup pi

- set it as only dns server for deco

- works great

- try and reboot deco

- deco is dead have to hard reset all 3 and setup entire network again..

for this third time I'm keeping a secondary dns in deco since I don't want to keep doing this 

it's like you said, some catch 22 where deco trying to phone home and pi needs Internet first

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 7592

Replies: 13