HS105 Not Discoverable on Alexa (Local Wi-Fi Control only / remote cloud send cmd failed)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

HS105 Not Discoverable on Alexa (Local Wi-Fi Control only / remote cloud send cmd failed)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-08-04 10:06:00
Model : HS105

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version : 1.5.1

ISP : Spectrum

I have several TP-Link Smart Plugs, switches, and bulbs. These all used to work flawlessly with Alexa for several months. After a recent power failure, none of my devices will work with Alexa control. They all worked in Kasa. Thus far I have done the following (plus I'm sure more resets and delete/add functions than I can remember):
Disconnected the Kasa skill from the Alexa app and re-connected it - no difference.
[*]Manually deleted all the devices from Alexa and attempted rediscovery - no devices found
[*]Manually deleted all devices from the Kasa App and did a soft reset (5 second hold until light blinks blue/orange) and re-add. Works in Kasa, but not discovered in Alexa
[*]Manually deleted all devices in Kasa App and did a factory reset (10 second hold until light blinks rapid orange then blue/orange) then re-add. Works in Kasa, but not discovered in Alexa
[*]All firmware is up-to-date
For the purposes of this discussion I'll focus on just 2 devices - a Smart Plug Mini HS105 and a Smart Plug HS100. The HS105 plug has had a complete factory reset (10 second hold until light blinks rapid orange and then blue/orange) and was re-added to Kasa. It's sitting in "Local Wi-Fi Control Only" mode. Of course this is why Alexa won't discover it. Works fine in Kasa. I can't seem to get it to enable in device settings and when I try, I get "remote cloud send cmd failed".

Now just to make matters confusing, I have a HS100 that I also factory reset and re-added to Kasa and it WORKS! How is this even possible? It is in remote mode and Alexa immediately discovered it and it works perfectly.

To me this eliminates a number of the solutions I've seen thus far such as reset your devices, delete/re-add, change around your network etc. So the question is now what? This just doesn't make sense
Options
5 Reply
Solved!
2018-08-08 11:57:26
So my problem is solved. Turns out its a combination of user error and what I would consider to be a product defect. It turns out the PC that is my Primary DNS server was powered off after a rash of power failures a week ago. My PC that was my Secondary DNS was running fine so all the computers in the house were functioning normally. I was also seeing some weird stuff with my Roku on certain channels. I brought my Primary DNS on-line and re-setup my TP-Link devices and all is well. The question is - why do these devices only work properly with the primary DNS? I've never seen a device with an IP stack that only supports 1 DNS server - this is the part that I would consider to be a product defect. Oddly I did have one smart plug - an older HS100 - that actually worked. My other mini-plugs, switches, and bulbs were a no-go. So there you are - a self inflicted problem and a collection of products that can effectively function with a secondary DNS. Hopefully the good folks at TP-Link read this and address in future firmware updates.
Options
Re:HS105 Not Discoverable on Alexa (Local Wi-Fi Control only / remote cloud send cmd failed)
2018-10-11 11:06:25
I'm interested in the answer to this also.
Options
Re:HS105 Not Discoverable on Alexa (Local Wi-Fi Control only / remote cloud send cmd failed)
2018-11-01 19:48:10
Options
2019-04-23 02:15:23

We switched from att to charter and now we keep getting "remote cloud send cmd failed" - have tried calling tplink support which has been an exercise in frustration and failure. Don't know what to try.

Options
Re:Re:HS105 Not Discoverable on Alexa (Local Wi-Fi Control only / remote cloud send cmd failed)
2019-04-25 00:00:39

@baldric 

Hold the reset button for 5 seconds.  This will soft reset the unit.  You can then go to reconfigure the device.  It will ask you if you want to reset the device say no.  This way all you are reconfiguring is the network settings. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 3044

Replies: 5