Feature Suggestion - Offline Notifications

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-08-23 23:27:58
Model : HS110 / HS105

Hardware Version : 1.0

Firmware Version : 1.2.5 / 1.5.1

ISP : AT&T

I'm using my TP-Link smart plugs to monitor my aquarium and sump pump circuits for power loss. I'm wondering if there's someone who has a way other than network monitoring software to do this?
It would be a fantastic feature to add to the application. Particularly since they already talk to the cloud. Does anyone know an appropriate place to send this other than the forum?

P.S. If this is duplicate, I apologize. The post that I previously tried to make has seemingly vanished.
Options
9 Reply
Re:Feature Suggestion - Offline Notifications
2018-08-30 05:29:28
If the smart plug lost power how would it be able to send out a notification or talk to the cloud? A whole home power outage would bring down your Internet connection as well. If the Kasa app pinged the plug periodically to get a status, that would drain your phone battery. I think the solution TP-Link should consider is letting us manage are smart plugs and switches from the cloud via a web browser. The cloud could then periodically ping the devices and send notifications.

I have the same concern with my sump pump. At my home I have two small Uninterruptible Power Supply's (UPS). One is connected to my Cable Modem, Router and Network Switch. It will run those devices on battery for about 30 minutes. The other powers a desktop PC and is connected via a USB Cable. That will run the PC for about 5 minutes. The UPS app on the PC sends an email notification then safely shuts down the PC when power is lost. When I get that email I assume the whole house is without power and I take appropriate action. THE UPS also has an audible alarm that can be used when you're home.
Options
2018-08-30 12:04:16
You hit the nail on the head with the cloud pinging the plug. That is the best option and then the cloud could send notification out in my opinion.
Power outage taking out my network is of no concern as everything is backed by a UPS with approximately 45 minutes run time.
For me, I'm mostly concerned about loosing power on my individual circuits. The UPS already e-mails me if the power is out so I can handle a whole house outage. My investigation has been triggered by a GFCI failure that occurred on my aquarium circuit which would of course leave everything else powered up. Monitoring the sump circuit is tangential and simply additional assurance that it's working. (Warn if breaker tripped or something else that doesn't take the house power offline).
Options
2018-08-30 20:57:12
I wouldn't want to use the TP Link (or any other IoT vendor) cloud to monitor/control mission critical devices, there's too many moving parts out of my control. Most aquarium users I've known consider them mission critical :).
Options
2018-08-31 19:44:47
@bmax1985 you may want to look into a device:

SENCE ( https://sense.com)

It's a smart device that installs into your circuit breaker panel. Electrical Devices give of a unique noise pattern so the SENCE, over time, can learn all about your individual devices. It will be able to tell you which device is powered off. That way you could get more granular and see if it is the aquarium filter pump or the tank lights that went out. It also has a ton of other features too. I don't own one yet but I'm looking into it for my house. Check it out.
Options
2018-08-31 22:49:35
Looks like a good product, but unfortunately still cloud based... For mission critical needs (in my case it's my home security system) I've setup a local server with battery backup and cellular SMS notifications of alarms - as in the server runs on an old android phone. Even new from walmart/bestbuy/target they're $20-$30. So even if my internet down or power is cut, the alarm system (which also has a battery backup) can tell the server to text me if there's a break in, and it'll notify on loss of AC or internet access. $4 a month for the cell service is pretty reasonable self monitoring. It can monitor and report on TP Link (and others) smart device status - all in house, no cloud connection needed.
Options
2018-08-31 23:10:14

MikeP_AutomationManager wrote

Looks like a good product, but unfortunately still cloud based... For mission critical needs (in my case it's my home security system) I've setup a local server with battery backup and cellular SMS notifications of alarms - as in the server runs on an old android phone. Even new from walmart/bestbuy/target they're $20-$30. So even if my internet down or power is cut, the alarm system (which also has a battery backup) can tell the server to text me if there's a break in, and it'll notify on loss of AC or internet access. $4 a month for the cell service is pretty reasonable self monitoring. It can monitor and report on TP Link (and others) smart device status - all in house, no cloud connection needed.
This is essentially what I'm doing now using Spiceworks and a local PC. I don't have the redundant internet but figure it's better than nothing. Having the cloud alert to the app would eliminate my current fault point which is if internet and phone are taken out at the same time. Your idea would certainly fill this gap though if I implemented, it's end up being an air card on my firewall. Im thinking all could be avoided by having the app or cloud do periodic status check much like what happens for users of the Smartthings hubs though.
Options
2018-08-31 23:13:16

MikeP_AutomationManager wrote

I wouldn't want to use the TP Link (or any other IoT vendor) cloud to monitor/control mission critical devices, there's too many moving parts out of my control. Most aquarium users I've known consider them mission critical :).
As the value of my livestock increases, it does become more critical. Unfortunately, I'm an aquarist on a budget so I need to do the best I can with the funds I've got available. In another few years, it may be more critical. For now, I'm mostly concerned when I'm away for a weekend or vacation and can't check myself.
Options
2018-08-31 23:16:31

HellBound wrote

@bmax1985 you may want to look into a device: SENCE ( https://sense.com) It's a smart device that installs into your circuit breaker panel. Electrical Devices give of a unique noise pattern so the SENCE, over time, can learn all about your individual devices. It will be able to tell you which device is powered off. That way you could get more granular and see if it is the aquarium filter pump or the tank lights that went out. It also has a ton of other features too. I don't own one yet but I'm looking into it for my house. Check it out.
Believe it or not, this is on my list of home projects. The product looks really cool and has been used by some of my peers. Thanks!
Options
2019-09-27 13:38:01

hey, friends, I'm an aquarium user and some strange things appeared in my aquarium (it's kind of worms but I don't even know where from they appeared...)
To be honest, I'm happy that these "worms" appeared, because they will be new friends for my fish :)
However, I have a certain feeling that it's not good that they appeared, but now everything is still ok.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3213

Replies: 9

Related Articles