How to choose a router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

How to choose a router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
32 Reply
Re:How to choose a router
2020-10-21 14:56:39
Carl, Thank-you so much for replying. Please understand my comments were not meant to be ugly. I know you guys have hundreds of threads out there and believe me, TPLink isn't the only forum I poised this question. I'll investigate the option of obtaining a business solution to augment my current implementation. MUCH appreciate the feedback! Sincerly, the Smart Home "pioneer" :\
Options
2020-10-21 15:05:39

@Carl 

In thinking about this further, would it help to disable DHCP on the router all together; forcing each of the devices to be manually set? 

I know this would become a bit of a nightmare for me, but willing to do it if we think it would free up critical processor power.

Options
2020-10-21 19:09:05

@elray 

No because at the end of the day even if you do static IP, or expand your DHCP Lease range its still an IP and a connected device.  It all comes down to overhead and CPU usuage.  Chipsets in the routers just need to catch up with the higher number of devices in a home. 

Options
2020-11-04 20:34:18
Thanks man. You raised some good points that I over looked.
Options
2021-03-26 10:31:34 - last edited 2021-04-30 13:54:16

@Carl 

• Over all these 6 questions will help you in your quest to find a new router.  If you have questions about a router we recommend contacting the manufacture.  They are the best resource to figuring out will a product be right for you.  For TP-Link reach out to us via our help line at 866-225-8139 or  https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/contact-technical-support

Thanks a lot Carl. This is exactly the information I was looking for! Thank you very much

Options
2021-05-23 20:14:29

Thanks for the information.

Options
2021-05-25 19:04:38

@Carl I have the same question, which router do you recommend more because my house is made of concrete material and its walls are thicker.

Options
2021-05-26 16:07:24

@robertogomez 

The concrete walls are always going to be the crux of your concerns.  WiFi is a form of radiation and as concrete is used to contain radiation its going to always create an issue for you.  Your best solution will likely be one of our Mesh products, but you may need more units than come in 1 package.  You most likely will also not get the full maximum range listed on the package as the environment will be affecting the signal. 

Our Deco Mesh has two types of backhaul, wireless and wired.  Wired backhaul means that you physically have the nodes wired to each other via Ethernet.  This would eliminate the signal degradation of transmitting between nodes that you would see do to the wall materials.   It would however require you to run an Ethernet between the nodes.  This is typically done one of 3 ways.  1.  Running a cable through the ceiling 2.  Running a cable through the walls or 3.  running a cable through a conduit under the home.  This is not necessarily needed but you might want to consider it.

For the Deco Mesh look for one of these 

Deco M9 Plus 

Deco X60

Deco X90

Options
2021-08-24 21:40:36
Archer C4000 for me one it was on sale and two in handles most everything I needed except on thing look at VPNs info now IPVanish does not support TP-Link routers in encryption so if your looking for that choose VPNs that’ll support encryption for your router
Options
2021-10-06 17:03:27

@LostTP 

How have you tried to contact TP-Link support?  We have 3 main options.  Live Chat,  Live Phone and Email.  Chat and Phone are both manned 24/7.  Do you have any ticket numbers?  what concern are you having and with what product?

Options
Related Articles