HS210 (and presumably other switches) only MOSTLY work in google home

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-12-20 01:07:50

I say 'mostly' because while I can call on each device explicitly by voice they will properly turn on/off, and using the Google Home UI I can turn them on and off. But I cannot say 'lights off' or 'turn off the lights in ROOMNAME' because TP-Link classifies them as switch devices and not light devices.

By comparison, I have a generic z-wave light switch that is passed to Google Home through Samsung SmartThings, and Samsung classifies it as a light device, which DOES allow me to use the new generic/context-sensitive commands for Google Home.

Is there a way to specify that a given light switch in my TP-Link setup is assigned to a light so I can get this kind of functionality? It's just barely short of a deal-breaker that makes me want to send all my switches back after the difference of device interpretation was figured out. The fact that I spent a couple hours wiring all these switches in is really the only thing preventing me from doing so right now.

Options
4 Reply
Re:HS210 (and presumably other switches) only MOSTLY work in google home
2018-12-20 01:59:57

@KriegTiger 

Hi,  I have a simialr setup as you.  I am using two of our smart home products with Google Minis in my home.  I have an LB130 i use as a night light for my son and I have an HS210 controling my outdoor lights.  Inside google Assistant I have the outdoor lights assinged to Patio and the LB130 as bedroom.  In my Kasa App I names my LB130 "Light" and the HS210 "Outside Lights".  I do not have any nicknames set for the device in Google.

If i issue a command "Google turn on/off my lights"  Google will respond with Turning on/off 2 lights.  If i say "turn on/off the outside lights" it also responds in kind.  So as I see it two things it could possibly the cause.  Either the name in Kasa does not include the word light so google does not reconize it as one,  This is likely the cause.  Or, less likely you have it assinged to a room that google would not reconize as having lights?  

There are two fixes I can think of.  1.  Add the word Light(s) to the HS210's name in Kasa.  Resyc the account so Google reconizes the change.  2.  Give the device a nickname with "Light" in the Google Assistant app.  Either of thses should resolve the issue 

Best Regards

Carl | TP-Link Support 

Options
Re:Re:HS210 (and presumably other switches) only MOSTLY work in google home
2018-12-20 04:42:40

Interesting hypothesis, I'll give it a try. Thanks for the input!

Options
Re:Re:HS210 (and presumably other switches) only MOSTLY work in google home
2018-12-20 15:06:16

Yep - that did the trick. A complete ESO problem (equipment smarter than operator). Since I was doing a dozen or so switches I hadn't given then names with the word 'light' and things started working. Thanks for the tip!

Options
Re:Re:Re:HS210 (and presumably other switches) only MOSTLY work in google home
2018-12-20 18:12:33

Awesome, gald that helped.  Let's us know if you have any other questions.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1235

Replies: 4