HS105 units don't auto-reconnect after losing WiFi connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

HS105 units don't auto-reconnect after losing WiFi connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
87 Reply
Re:HS105 units don't auto-reconnect after losing WiFi connection
2019-07-12 00:23:48

Hi, to all in the forum. I have 2 HS105 and 2 HS103 the HS105 works fine, but I have this problem with my 2 HS103, for some reason some time they appear active in my IOS app and after some time they are grey, in grey I can ping them and receive answer but stay grey in the app. When they renew the WIFI connection they appear active again. Any idea? Do you have a firmware update for the HS103 the firmware version that they have is the 1.0.12.  The firmware the HS105 had is the 1.5.4

Thanks with any help

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:HS105 units don't auto-reconnect after losing WiFi connection
2019-08-02 00:29:25

I have the exact same problem with my 105’s.  I have eight of them and it started with only one losing connection every week or two, they another one started doing it, then another and another. Now after many months I had to reset all eight and I'm fed up with them. I called support and they tried to blame my router too, but I have several other devices from other makers and none of them have this problem ever. . I have 6 tplink wall switches and they don't have any problems either, it's ONLY the TPLINK 105’S.  I'm running newer firmware than you were 1.5.4.   So frustrated!

Options
2019-09-10 17:12:13

Sphere wrote

I have the exact same problem with my 105’s.  I have eight of them and it started with only one losing connection every week or two, they another one started doing it, then another and another. Now after many months I had to reset all eight and I'm fed up with them. I called support and they tried to blame my router too, but I have several other devices from other makers and none of them have this problem ever. . I have 6 tplink wall switches and they don't have any problems either, it's ONLY the TPLINK 105’S.  I'm running newer firmware than you were 1.5.4.   So frustrated!

Same problem. I have 9 of them  (LB100) and they all worked fine w/ out any problem for like 6 months or so. Now one stopped connecting even after reboot, and reset (5 on/off) and just would not freking connect at all where others bulbs next to it showing -58dBm strengh in the same light fixure. There is nothing wrong w/ router or signal strength ... now an another one even closer to the router with ~-50dBm strenght flat wont connect. Seem like they are going one by one. I am really sick of often fiddling with supposedly 'smart bulbs'!

Options
2019-09-24 15:23:26
I have the same issue. Now it is two of my units. One is 10 feet from my Asus router. All have static IPs.
Options
2019-10-31 21:20:33 - last edited 2019-10-31 21:21:12

Ahhh, I should read this topic before buying this stupid plug. I using 3 cheap chinese plugs and never got such a problem like this but My HS105 unable to connect to home wifi again even I tried to reset and reconnect many times

Options
2019-11-29 19:27:41

@TP-Link 

(@NikD63 )

Hi all,

I am yet another person with this exact same problem.  I'm an IT man, I have no wifi problems with other devices, these TP-Link plugs clearly have a problem.

I have 3 HS100 plugs.  When I go to turn them on remotely with the app approx every 5-6 weeks, 1 of them is ALWAYS 'online' and works fine, the other 2 are ALWAYS (after that 5-6 week period) unavailable and have a red LED when I look at them.  I can turn the devices connected to the failing units on/off by pressing the button on the TP plug, but they still have a red LED and have no remote access via the app.  I don't get a green LED until I physically power cycle them - then they go orange for a few seconds and then green and then work fine, - until the next time I try in 5-6 weeks when I get the same problem again with the same one unit working fine and the other two units 'stranded' with a red LED.

3 HS100 unit details below if anyone is interested:

Unit 1 that always works fine:
Hardware version 2.1
Firmware version 1.5.8
Signal strength -59dBm

Unit 2 that always needs a manual power cycle:
Hardware version 2.1
Firmware version 1.5.8
Signal strength -51dBm
Location 1m from the above unit (it's also 5-6m and 2 walls from router)

Unit 3 that always needs a manual power cycle:
Hardware version 2.0
Firmware version 1.5.8
Signal strength -38dBm
Location: same room as router - about 1.5m from router with direct 'line of sight'.

I appreciate that finding and fixing this problem may not be easy, but surely after almost 1 year from the original poster of this thread reporting the problem - could a temporary firmware workaround not have been implemented - eg, every 5 mins check for a prolonged 'red LED' situation and have a software triggered power cycle?  The manual power cycle works, so an automatic power cycle would be an intermediate (but not ideal) fix.

I look forward to any updates from TP-Link here on this thread before I bin these things and change my (previously very high) opinion of TP-Link for future purchases.

I'll help diagnose this if I can, (but if anyone asks for my router logs, as if that's the problemn - I'll shoot them. - if these devices 'drop out' of wifi - ok, that can happen, but as the original poster said: - they should automatically periodically reconnect without needing a manual power cycle).

Regards,

Mark.

Options
2019-11-29 20:27:17 - last edited 2019-11-29 20:47:35

@MarkNI,

I have not had this problem for many months now. I believe my problem was fixed back in Jan of this year. My plugs do still lose their connection with the router but they now do reconnect on their own.

I think that most of the time the connection loss is due to our microvawe oven being used. It the plugs were able to join my 5G wifi network, this probably wouldn't happen. But I think adding 5G capability would probably require a hardware change and not just firmware.

BTW, my HS105 units are hardware v1.0 and at firmware 1.5.4, which are both older than the ones you have.

EDIT: I checked for firmware updates in my Kasa app and it's telling me there are no updates available for my devices. So apparently the firmware version you have isn't compatible with my HS105 hardware.

Options
2019-11-30 10:30:05

@NikD63 

Thanks for the update - I will try and keep a closer eye on mine and see when exactly they go down and if there's any pattern or trigger.

Options
2019-11-30 11:01:43

@MarkNI 

I did not see any type of pattern when they disconnected.  They just did and would not reconnect without unplugging and replugging.  Had several communications with TP-link and they were not helpful.  I have since moved them to non-critical applications and have purchased the Sonoff devices that you can burn your own firmware on.  Cheaper and the device does what I need it to do.

Options
2019-11-30 17:36:48

@bschatzow 

Mine are still green now a day later - I'm going to monitor them more closely now, - but as you say - when they go red, the only way to get them back online is to pull them out and plug them in again.  I haven't contacted TP directly myself, but this discussion is on their own website so I'd like to think they read ithese things periodically...  - My applications for these plugs are all non-critical, which is why I've previously only tried to access them at a 5-6 week period (and always found the 2 out of 3 to be WIFI dead).  I will monitor them more closely now over the coming weeks / months and I will post back on this thread if I notice any different / same behaviour... yes

Options