HS105 units don't auto-reconnect after losing WiFi connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

HS105 units don't auto-reconnect after losing WiFi connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
87 Reply
Re:HS105 units don't auto-reconnect after losing WiFi connection
2019-01-09 14:51:54

Status.

I now have only 3 of the HS105 plugged in. One was for the Christmas tree which has been taken down. Of those 3 which are plugged in, the one in our bedroom goes offline at least once or twice a day and stays offline. It's also the one which is the farthest away from the router and behind a cabinet. The other 2 units are operating fine for the past week or so.

One time yesterday I happened to look at the bedroom unit and noticed its LED was flashing blue. I think that means it had lost its connection and was trying to reconnect. I tried to control it while it was flashing blue but it was unreachable. I looked at it again a couple minutes later and the LED was red and it was offline. I decided to leave it for a while to see if it would reconnect. When I came back an hour later it was still offline and still red. So it looks to me like it does actually try to reconnect sometimes but then eventually it seems to give up and not try again. I unplugged it and plugged it in again and it connected again. But a few hours later it was again offline.

I have the router log from this period of time which I can send you, Carl, once you send me your email address.

Options
Re:HS105 units don't auto-reconnect after losing WiFi connection
2019-01-14 17:28:58

I have four HS105's and two HS100's, and all of them do the same thing - disconnect constantly. I have a TP-Link Google Hub and when I reserve an IP for each plug they'll last about a week before disconnecting. All plugs have signal strength between -40 and -48. Plugs are all over the house on three different floors - all disconnect randomly and do not reconnect.

I just submitted an email to TP Link support because my wife has had it with our "smart" home where she has to unplug lamps every day. It's insane. Either TP Link needs to fix these plugs, send me six new HS107's, or refund me for these plugs I already purchased. A smart plug that disconnects regularly is like a car that never starts - it's garbage.

Options
Re:Re:HS105 units don't auto-reconnect after losing WiFi connection
2019-01-16 23:50:44

@NikD63 

Sorry for the delay i was attending CES last week and just playing catch up.  You can send the logs to ussupportteam@tp-link.com please include a link to the thread so we know what it is referring to.  

Also as you stated in this previous message the unit appears to be trying to reconnect and when it does it only last for  a few hours.  This could indicate a range issue.  Two things you can try as well.  Take one of the two working units and place them in this location.  See if the issue begins to happen to it.  At the same time move the unit with issues closer and see if it begins to work normally.  If so then the issue would deffiantly be a range issue and playing with the wireless channels and bandwidth might help improve stablity. 

Best Regards 

Options
2019-01-16 23:58:03

@beyerku 

Please let us know what happens with your interaction with our support team.  With six products having the same issue the real problem may be in the router, as it would be very uncommon for this many products to have the same issue.  You mention you have the Google OnHub, with those routers all support is handled by Google as we are simply a hardware provider for them on it.  If you haven't already I would suggest as a precaution to contact Google OnHub support at here.  Also just so you know TP-Link's warranty and replacement policy does not provide refunds under any cirucumstances.  Refund requests would always be handled by the retailer the product was purchased from.  Model swaps are deffiantly possible but only after an initial replacement for the original model failes to resolve the issue.  

Best Regards 

Options
Re:Re:Re:HS105 units don't auto-reconnect after losing WiFi connection
2019-01-17 03:49:09

Hello Carl. As I mentioned I am also in email contact with your customer support folks. They have sent me a beta version of a firmware update (1.5.3). I have applied to all of my HS105 units. I applied the update only 2 days ago but so far things look good. I those two days I have not seen any of the plugs go offline and stay offline. I'm cautiously optimistic. I would need to see no problems for a full week before I feel confident enough to say that it's fixed.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:HS105 units don't auto-reconnect after losing WiFi connection
2019-01-22 18:13:50

@NikD63 

That is totally understandable.  Please let us know how it goes and also how your experiance with our suppot staff was.  If you feel so inclined you can also write a Story here in the community.  I assure you we read all of these and any feedback good or bad is used to improve the quality of the support our customers receive.  

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:HS105 units don't auto-reconnect after losing WiFi connection
2019-01-22 19:02:04 - last edited 2019-01-22 19:03:03

Well, it's been a little over 7 days and none of the devices have entered the 'unable to reconnect' state. So I am comfortable saying that the 1.5.3 firmware beta I'm using seems to have fixed the problem I was having. I should also state that I haven't seen any new problems with the beta firmware.

I believe the devices do still lose network connectivity from time to time (based on some behaviour I observed) but they now seem to always reconnect. It would be interesting to view the router log to see how often they're losing connectivity. I may check that at some point.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:HS105 units don't auto-reconnect after losing WiFi connection
2019-01-22 19:18:02

Glad to here they are working properly for you.  If you do detect any disconnects or the router logs show anything abnormal please let us know.  

Options
2019-01-30 14:37:46

Your experience is a near perfect match to my symptons and repair. A reboot of the router brings them all back. For clarity my wireless devices include HS105, DLINK W110, two arlo base stations hardwired but transmit to cameras on very strong 2.4 ghz. PCs and smart phones unaffected. Exceptions to the problem are my 3 IP cameras. Two are from Ebitcam 1080s and one Geeni (Merkury) pus one  IP smart plug also from Merkury. All the problems invovle 2.4 ghz devices that get status from the vendors servers. All recover from a reboot. No 5 ghz problem. By the way I have tried a Linksys router, an Knighthawk ac2300 (new) and a new ZTE 298 from the ISP. All failed. Looking for a solution. Thx Steve

Options
Re:Re:Re:HS105 units don't auto-reconnect after losing WiFi connection
2019-01-30 14:42:54
Range is not the cause. Have set up test environment with better than -40 db. Makes no difference. Still go off randomly.
Options