HS210 with Dimmers

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

HS210 with Dimmers

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
HS210 with Dimmers
HS210 with Dimmers
2019-01-01 13:41:51 - last edited 2019-01-02 11:24:41

Connected one HS210 to a 4 way circuit... one to a 3 way... both with one Dimmer on the other end. Both have the same issue:

Everything works fine with the dimmer set to medium or high.  If I set the dimmer to low (my preferred setting), the HS210 looses connectivity (and light goes out). 

Making sure the HS210 is the first light in the circuit is not possible for the 4 way, in that there is no neutral wire in that box, nor in box 2. Box 1 has the dimmer, box 2 the 4 way switch, box 3 the HS210 (the only box with neutral).  Any recommendations?

Change to symptoms: when dimmer is set to low (on either circuit) the 3 way or 4 way function fails manually.

Options
2 Reply
Re:HS210 with Dimmers
2019-01-01 20:24:36

@Craig1 

This FAQ should help answer some of your questions.  For the switches with Dimmers, what is happening is you are lowering the voltage that switch needs to operate.  Once it goes too low the switch will fail to work properly.  In these cases The HS210 is not recommended,  We do have a switch that is designed for dimmers the HS220 but to our knowledge it may only be installed in single pole eniviroments.  Aslo all of our smart switches require a neutral wire to operate, and in most cases load and live wires must be two seperarte wires.  

For a 4-way enviroment our HS210 was not tested for this operation so we would not be able to give any advice as to how to operate it here and would recommend an electrian for assistance. 

Best Regards

Carl | TP-Link Support 

Options
Re:Re:HS210 with Dimmers
2019-01-02 20:43:29

Carl, thanks... putting the HS210 first in line solved my dimmer switch issue on the 3 way light set up.

Since I am unable to change the order in the 4 way set up, I will either live with a higher dimmer setting, find some lower wattage floods (where the dimmer doesn't need to be set so low) or contact and electricion to pull a neutral into box 1. Thanks

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2461

Replies: 2

Related Articles