Archer C5400 Parental Controls don't work

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-01-02 17:27:35

I just recently purchased this router and went through setting parental controls but having some issues.

1. Setting a bedtime doesn't turn off all the devices I have in the list.  I expect all the devices to have no

internet access at all during bedtime.  Is this not how it is supposed to work?

2. How can I set a different bedtime for school nights(Sunday-Thursday)?, With a later bedtime

for non-school nights(Friday-Saturday).  Hardcoding the day selections to only Sat-Sun and/or Mon-Fri

is a poor design and is plain stupid.

I just don't understand why no one can make parental controls work on a router.  I have tried

Linksys, Netgear and now TP-Link and none of them work as needed, if at all.

Ted
Options
15 Reply
Re:Archer C5400 Parental Controls don't work
2019-01-03 21:47:53

If you have version 1 of the router, here is a guide that should help as a reference: https://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-1124.html

The internet access time when the setup would take affect depends on what timse were selected on the time map.

If you have version 2, you can reference this guide: https://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-1707.html or https://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-1771.html (Tether app)

For both, which ever device that is added should abide by what ever setup that was done. WIth the V2 you have the time limit you can set and when it would be bedtime which would stop internet access during those times.

Options
2019-05-09 00:39:17

This response just shows how no one understands how a parent may want to use controls that are different for school nights (Sun-Thurs) and weekend nights (Fri-Sat).

Ted
Options
2019-05-09 00:45:27

Also, I just found that if you use a range extender, AC750 RE200 in my case, it allows devices to bypass any parental controls set on the router if they connect throught the range extender.  I just find it unbelieveable how incompetent router developers seem to be when it comes to something as simple as parental controls.  Netgear has the best UI for control, but theirs just plain doesn't work.  The TP-Link UI is stupid in its inflexiblity.

Ted
Options
2019-05-15 16:39:50

I have an Archer C4000. The bedtime controls don't work like they're supposed to.

Often times, the devices associated with the profile don't turn off  internet access using the assigned filter at the time they are supposed to OR they don't turn back on when they are supposed to.

Why is this not working consistently?

Options
Re:Re:Archer C5400 Parental Controls don't work
2019-05-25 22:20:15
I also have the same problem, sometimes the router's schedule changes alone model: archer c2300
Options
2019-05-29 21:25:10

@TedWards 

The reason devices connected to a range extender bypass the parental controls is because when a device is connected to a range extender its make address is techincally different.  This is because the Range Extender changes the header for the device's MAC to that of the range extender's.  This is due to how Range Extenders communicate and transfer data request to and from the router to the devices attached to it.  To resolve this you simply need to add the device to the Access Control list while its connected to the range extender.  

For wanting to set time restraints espcially with HomeCare equiped router the access times are based on calander days so the break down is weekdays Monday through Friday and Weekends Saturday and Sunday.  At this time there is no way to manually edit which grouping gets what times, but we would be happy to send this request up to the development team. 

Options
2019-05-29 21:29:05

@richiegardos 

Usually when a time based features do not work properly it has to do with a timing issue with in the software.  Make sure your router's time and region are correct.  log into the admin console @ tplinkwifi.net.  Once logged in click on Advanced, then Settings, then Time Settings.  Ensure your router has the correct time and if DST applies make sure that is checked as well. 

Best Regards 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Archer C5400 Parental Controls don't work
2019-05-29 21:30:26

@WendellPinheiro 

Like Richie you issue is less likely to be the router is changing settings, which shouldn't be able to happen, but more likely to do with a timing issue.  Please follow the steps provided to him to check your device timming. 

Options
2019-08-31 04:36:24

I have a AC4000 and found that the issue is a difference between the bedtime configuration you get in the web browser VS what you get in the tether app.

The Tether app shows weekdays as Sun-Thu and weekends as Fri-Sat, which makes sense when you're talking about having kids going to bed for school the next day. But the web interface shows weekdays as Mon-Fri and weekends as Sat-Sun, which doesn't make sense for kids going to bed for school.

Thing is, it appears that whatever you set follows the webpage interface days. I had my kids cutoff time as 11pm on school nights in the app (Sun-Thu), then come friday night he comes to me that the internet cut off on his PC (a device assigned to his profile) at 11pm.

Whoever wrote the app has the right idea, but the internal firmware follows the webpage configuration.

Options
2019-09-28 02:56:37
I have encountered the same issue - that the Tether app has it how I want it to be (Sun through Thursday) but the web interface shows (Mon through Friday).....And that the router itself is using Mon through Friday....
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4572

Replies: 15