Archer C9 AC1900 won't connect to Modem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-01-04 18:37:21 - last edited 2022-05-05 21:48:33

Hello,

My Router and modem worked great until this week, my interent kept going out. I told Cox to re-set the connection. This helped that problem. I am now getting a strong signal to the Modem. I can plug an ethernet cable directly to that and get a working connection.
1. I reconnect my Archer Router and it gives me an Amber Light for the little Internet connection.
2. I use the app to try to troubleshoot the problem. I even reboot the entire system and start fresh even changing my Wifi name and passwords. I can connect to wifi but there is not internet connection.
3. Amber light remains.
4. Even an ethernet connection from my Archer Router to a computer won't work. 
5. I try a different Ethernet cord to check if it was a bad cord, nope still doesn't work.

6. I go back to test if connection works with ethernet directly from my computer to Modem and yes it work.

Please help me. I'm not sure what to do. I've only had this Archer Router for about 4 months and it was working perfectly. Now It won't connect to the internet.

Any Ideas on what to do?
Thank you
-Matt

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer C9 AC1900 won't connect to Modem-Solution
2019-01-04 20:54:35 - last edited 2020-09-08 20:13:13

There are two things that usually cause this. If you are getting a amber light, then the router at least is telling you there is something that is plugged in, but there is no internet.

First, check to see if you have a WAN IP address. Log into the router, and go to Advanced > Status. The connection type should be Dynamic IP, if not go through the Quick Setup and make sure to choose Dynamic IP. In the internet box should be a IP address. If it is all 0's, then the modem is not giving a IP to your router. Leave the router on, and only power down the modem, then power it back up. Once the modem fully boots ups after a couple of minutes see if the amber light changes and if there is now a IP address (refresh the page). If so, you should now have internet.

If you do have a IP address, configure the DNS settings by going to Advanced > Network > Internet. Click on Advanced in the middle, and choose "Use the following DNS Addresses". Congfure the addresses below:

Primary: 8.8.8.8

Secondary: 8.8.4.4

Hit save on the bottom right, and then the light on the router should change and a internet connection should be available.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Archer C9 AC1900 won't connect to Modem-Solution
2019-01-04 20:54:35 - last edited 2020-09-08 20:13:13

There are two things that usually cause this. If you are getting a amber light, then the router at least is telling you there is something that is plugged in, but there is no internet.

First, check to see if you have a WAN IP address. Log into the router, and go to Advanced > Status. The connection type should be Dynamic IP, if not go through the Quick Setup and make sure to choose Dynamic IP. In the internet box should be a IP address. If it is all 0's, then the modem is not giving a IP to your router. Leave the router on, and only power down the modem, then power it back up. Once the modem fully boots ups after a couple of minutes see if the amber light changes and if there is now a IP address (refresh the page). If so, you should now have internet.

If you do have a IP address, configure the DNS settings by going to Advanced > Network > Internet. Click on Advanced in the middle, and choose "Use the following DNS Addresses". Congfure the addresses below:

Primary: 8.8.8.8

Secondary: 8.8.4.4

Hit save on the bottom right, and then the light on the router should change and a internet connection should be available.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Re:Archer C9 AC1900 won't connect to Modem
2019-01-05 00:36:50

Thank you. Problem solved. 

Options
Re:Re:Archer C9 AC1900 won't connect to Modem
2019-07-24 06:43:39
The solution worked perfect for me too! I had spent over two hours troubleshooting by myself, with my ISP, and TP Link Tech support to no avail. I stumbled upon this post and thought "why not? I've tried everything else". What a relief to find an answer that actually worked! Everyone I talked to had me rebooting the modem *and* router each time. The sequence you gave made sense and was the right solution. Thanks!
Options
Re:Archer C9 AC1900 won't connect to Modem
2020-09-05 14:46:04

@Tony  WOW! worked with provider techs from 1:30 PM yesterday to 6 AM today and not one knew this trick. Was offline for their "maintenance work" and when it did come back on line my router refused to talk to the modem.  I mentioned my troubleshooter said I had an invalid  ip address, they did something that allowed my desktop to connect through hard wiring to it but the router wasn't budging.  All set to have to go out and get a new router because nobody could fix the issue when I found this jewel of a solution.  The power cycling of the modem while the router was connected and on not only fixed the connection issue, it fixed a speed throttling issue I was having with the router when I went up to 100mgps service.  Thank you so much!

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 23245

Replies: 4

Related Articles