PCI and PCI-E wifi adapters randomly disconnecting from wifi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-01-07 22:35:08

Hi,

I'm new to the forums and I'm looking for a solution to a problem that's been pestering me for a while now.

I've been experiencing some random connection drops almost every day now, and the only thing that resolves the issue is simply resetting the wifi adapter or running 

"ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew" in the Command Prompt. 

I've had this issue with 2 wifi adapters so far, the TL-WDN4800, which died after disconnecting every 1 to 2 hours, and then refusing to ever reconnect, and the one I'm running compatability mode on now, which I have used before and am using again, TL-WN51ND, which has the same issue. 

My tech specs:

Dell T3500 Workstation,

CPU: Intel Xeon i7 W3550 3.07GHz

GPU: MSI GTX 1050 ti 4gb

RAM: Corsair 24 gb 1600mhz

Windows 10 Home, version 1803, 64-bit

Options
6 Reply
Re:PCI and PCI-E wifi adapters randomly disconnecting from wifi
2019-01-08 18:47:26

@canned_pianos 

Welcome to the community.  As the issue has happened on two seperate adpaters the issue is likely enviromental.  While both adapters due use Atheros chipsets they are different families so the likelyhood of it being a chipset issue is low.  For enviromental issues you will want to look at a few things.

1.  Signal being recieved.  

2.  Distance to the router

3.  Obsticles and EMI interfence between the router and desktop 

4.  Location of desktop (on the floor, on a desk, in an encolsure?

5.  If in an enclosure, what is it make of?  

6.  Is the encolsure an open back design or is there a backboard and if there is what is it made of.  

One way to test the signal is with a cellphone.  place the phone next to the antennas and see how strong the signal is.  If it is too low this could be the cause and you will want to move the destop closer to the router.

Also you may be experiancing a IP conflict.  You will want to log into your router and look at the system logs to determine this.

Please let us know more information after checking the above.  We are here to help.

Options
Re:Re:PCI and PCI-E wifi adapters randomly disconnecting from wifi
2019-01-10 15:08:45 - last edited 2019-01-10 15:11:54

Hi Carl,

Thanks for replying so quickly, I tried checking all the conditions you listed yesterday, and I tried changing where the pc is positioned.

The pc is in a basement next to another pc. I thought the issue might have been the fact that it was under a wooden table, but when I moved the pc on top of the table instead, it had the issue occur twice...my dad said that there couldn't possibly be any IP conflict, so I took his word for it. 

I checked if there was any change in signal quality, and the TP-Link app said that it was %60 signal quality above and below the table, and the windows' Network & Internet settings said I had an excellent connection, which was slightly better than under the desk.

The router is in a closet on the top shelf so then it is behind the television on the other side of the wall. I didn't think it would be much of an issue, considering the pc next to mine has had no longterm connection issues, and the wifi adapter on that pc doesn't need and antenna like mine does.

Should I change the position of the router and see if anything changes?

Thanks, 

Canned_pianos

Options
Re:Re:Re:PCI and PCI-E wifi adapters randomly disconnecting from wifi
2019-01-15 17:25:38

@canned_pianos 

Sorry for the delay i was at CES and did not have access to the community.  Although the router being in a closet and the signal going through a floor does affect the over all strength it does not appear form the information you provided to be part of the issue.  This would also seem at least at face value to eliminate EMI as the cluprit as well.  You can try to relocate your PC to be in the same room as the router to be sure but I am thinking that this is simply an IP conflict.  I know you stated your dad said its not possible but it seems the most likely situation.  

So what i would like to have you try is set the NIC to a static IP address.  This address needs to be in your subnet but outside of your DHCP pool.  Once set we will want to wait and see if drips happen.  If so, please provide logs from your Router so we can see what is happening when the drops take place.

Best Regards 

Carl | TP-Link Support 

Options
2019-01-21 19:15:06

Hi Carl, 

My dad and I checked the logs on the router a few days ago, but we didn't find any IP conflict at all, but we did find that the router was recieving a lot of interferance. We changed some settings, and things seem to be fine now. Thanks for helping me out with this issue, I wouldn't have figured this out without you.

Thanks again, 

Canned_Pianos

Options
Re:Re:PCI and PCI-E wifi adapters randomly disconnecting from wifi
2019-01-22 18:35:34

@canned_pianos 

My pleasure.  Glad you were able to find a solution.  Let us know if we can be of further help

Options
2020-04-23 19:23:16

@canned_pianos how did you fix it? im having the same problem.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 11643

Replies: 6