Smart plugs winking out individually on router client list

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-01-10 19:32:22

I purchased 4 KP100 smart plugs and installed them to operate lights at various distances from the Linksys router. Distances are from 10 feet to 50 feet; signal strengths are 50dbm or better. They have been installed for a couple of weeks and have operated intermittently. Since installing them Alexa has become less dependable. Reseting the router seems to reconnect the smart plugs for 6 hours and then they disconnect again. I have opened the router software and watched the client list. Immediately after router reset the client list is fully populated by all connected devices. After a period of time the name of one of the smart plugs will disappear from the client list but the address remains. Then a second smart plug name will go blank but again the address remains. Each remaining smart plug name disappears in turn. The result is that all smart plugs become disconnected from the network and will not reconnect without resetting the router. All other clients in the client list remain so this is just a smart plug problem. I need help fixing this smart plug problem so I do not have to reset my router every few hours.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Smart plugs winking out individually on router client list
2019-01-10 23:34:04

@horsepepper

Hi,

Since your KP100 smart plugs are receiving sufficient WiFi signal from the router, we first recommend ensuring your Kasa Smart app is fully up to date, then check for, and apply any available firmware updates for the smart plugs using the steps outlined here

Please note our smart plugs connect via 2.4GHz WiFi, which in some environments can be severely congested, leading to less than ideal reliability for devices using this band. To help remedy 2.4GHz WiFi congestion, which may be affecting one of your HS100 units, we recommend adjusting the 2.4GHz WiFi channel setting on your router to a channel that is least congested in your area. You can typically determine which channels are the most, or least congested by using a common WiFi analyzer app on your smartphone.

Once the firmware has been updated, please monitor the smart plugs to see if any of the symptoms persist. 

Best Regards,

Ryan | TP-Link Support

Options
Re:Re:Smart plugs winking out individually on router client list
2019-01-11 21:52:57

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the great suggestions. I have used a wifi analysis app to find a hole in the channel band. I selected a channel in a less used band. Now time will tell if this improves reliability of the smart plugs. 

Options
Re:Smart plugs winking out individually on router client list
2019-01-14 18:43:31

@horsepepper 

You're most welcome; thank you for your cooperation. Please keep us posted if you have any other concerns.

Regards,

Ryan | TP-Link Support

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 740

Replies: 3