Extender connected, but wifi says no internet connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Extender connected, but wifi says no internet connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
72 Reply
Re:Extender connected, but wifi says no internet connection
2021-05-24 17:23:36

@ThisIsHard 

This would mean that the router either blocks pings to the gateway address or that the extender is not communicating with it. you can test by connecting to the wireless of the router itself and then ping the gateway.  If its successful then the issue is the Extender is not being allowed to communicate.  This usually is linked to a filtering/access issue in the router, such as MAC filtering.   

Options
2021-05-25 01:51:38

@Carl You need to connect directly to the unit via an RJ45 cable (NIC cable). Log in to the device and go into the settings. It is here you will do most of the work directly, NOT in the TP-Link application! Make sure you have a wireless device hooked up to connect to your normal network. Once you have all of your connections, via the TP-link and connected to your normal network, you should be ready to go. It took me a bit to figure this out.

Options
2021-05-25 14:38:15

@Carl It’s gotten very strange. The extender works sometimes, but not other times. It also works 100% of the time for other devices. For example, it always works for my laptop, but only sometimes on my PlayStation 4.

Options
2021-05-25 17:04:33

@ThisIsHard 

Are you using the extender with the same SSID as the Host network or does it have a unique SSID?

Options
2021-05-25 17:10:07

@Carl It’s the same as routers SSID but it adds ‘_EXT’ to the end.

So I guess it’s unique?

Options
2021-05-26 16:11:53

@ThisIsHard 

Yes that is a unique SSID.  So then it would not be a case of not knowing which AP to connect to, which is common and sounded like you were describing.  Are you running the most recent firmware on the extender?  Also while i doubt it is the problem I would still check the placement of the extender.  Make sure its in an open and unobstructed enviroment that has a strong signal from the router and is between the router and where you need the extended service.  

Options
2021-05-29 14:27:42

@Carl What’s the latest firmware version?

Options
2021-05-31 18:40:18

@PleaseHelpMe 

Also struggled with this. Connected to my Wifi router, connected my wireless device (cellphone) to the extender, had an ip address on my wireless device that I could ping from my pc, but no internet connection. Browsed the web and youtube and no luck. So then I started fiddling (Make sure your wife isn't watching Netflix while doing this as it doesn't go down well) and found a solution to my problem.

Log onto your router

Go to your 2.4Ghz setting (didn't try 5Ghz setting, but it probably also works if your extender is 5Ghz enabled)

Enable WDS

Scan for your wifi extender

Select your wifi extender and make note of the channel that it uses.

Make your 2.4Ghz channel the same (don't leave it as auto)

Insert Wifi password (the same as my 2.4Ghz password worked)

Key type and encryption is the same as router settings (WPA2 and AES is what I used)

Save

And it worked. Hope this helps

Options
2021-06-01 16:07:55

@ThisIsHard 

Its different for every model.  Go to tp-link.com.  Search for your model and click on support.  Choose your hardware Version in the dropdown and then click on firmware.  The latest frimware is listed on the top.

Options
2021-06-02 04:48:42

@Carl It doesn’t list it at the top. First it describes how to upgrade the firmware, and then it lists 2 versions from 2019 which I think are outdated.

my device is a TL-WA850RE (hardware version 7.0 &

firmware version 1.0.1 Build 200514 Rel.65715n)

Options