Extender connected, but wifi says no internet connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Extender connected, but wifi says no internet connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
72 Reply
Re:Extender connected, but wifi says no internet connection
2020-07-20 04:36:26

@PleaseHelpMe same problem with same router /extender combination.

1. Assigned permanent reserved address for the extender using the RE305 mac address in the router.

2. Assigned static routing to the reserved up.

Seems to work now. Will update if fluctuation happens again.

BR

AJ

PleaseHelpMe wrote

I recently bought a TP-Link AC1200 Wifi Extender (RE305) for my home. I got it connected to the router and have all the blue lights across the top. However, on my phone I keep getting an alert on my wifi that there is no internet connection. I have no idea how to fix this, so if anyone could give me step-by-step instructions (because so much of this stuff I just don't understand), I would really appreciate it.

Thanks so much in advance!

Options
2020-10-15 02:06:42

@LG-5150 

Thank you so much for posting this suggestion!  We just got cameras and one of them loses signal.  So I thought maybe moving my extender to a plug closer to where that camera was would help.  But then it quit working altogether.  I just spent almost 2 hours trying to figure out the issue and was ready to give up.  Unplugged the camera system like you suggested.  Extender immediately started working again. Plugged the camera system back in and all is fine.  I can't believe it was that easy to fix!  LOL.

Options
2020-11-12 18:58:20

@PleaseHelpMe  Hi there, i am having the same issue and have no idea what the instructions in the posts mean at all.  i don't know how to change an IP or what an OS or whatever is... Is there someone who can help without any of the complicated jargon, or at least an easy step by step guide?  Quite disappointed in this purchase.

Options
2020-11-20 14:30:36

@Carl I have the WA850RE... bought it quite a few months ago and was working fine until about a couple of days ago. 

It does connect to the wifi router and my phone & other devices are able to connect to the RE. However, RE does not have any connection to the internet. The router works fine across multiple devices. 

I have already tried resetting the wifi, resetting RE and the troubleshooting steps you have listed including pinging the RE from the device, pinging sites thru RE. Nothing is working. 

what's the next step that you suggest?

Options
2020-11-20 16:48:40

@AdityaMarwah 

try doing a traceroute from a device connected to the extender. see where the route starts to fail.  If its not a private IP like 10.10.x.x, 172.16.x.x. or 192.168.x.x, you would then want to look up that IP address on a IP lookup site and see who own it  This will let you know where the traffic is failing.  Such as if the traffic is being blocked by the router or the ISP. etc.  

Options
2021-02-02 09:20:38

@Carl 

I Finally solved it by accessing the extender setup and disconnect from one of the main router connections (main router can provide two ranges 2.4 GHz and 5GHZ) but by connecting to both The extender got confused.

Steps In tpLink Tether app:

- login to the tpLink Tether app

- choose your the extender device 

- click on the host network icon to the left

- if you have both (2.4 GHz and 5GHZ) ranges active try turning one of them off

steps in tplinkrepeater.net:

- login 

- on the left tabs go to wireless, and choose connect to network

- disconnect from one of the ranges

I hope this helps! It was a pain in the a** before I got it working.

Options
2021-03-13 14:08:54

@Kayaker2583 

How can you do this if the range extender cannot connect to the internet in the first place.

Options
2021-05-08 02:19:04
I have one also and same issue. What I did was go through the setup process and connected to my network. Then, I plugged the extender into my computer via lan cable after all lights were blue. I logged into the device and changed the IP address on it so it was not overlapping another one. I was still connected via my wireless dongle to my network and once I changed the extender was all blue again, I unplugged the wireless dongle and I was connected to my network. I tested speeds, etc, and was good. I then used my phone to connect to the network to see if I got Internet and that as well worked. I then plugged my wireless dongle back into my computer and unplugged the AC. relocated it, plugged it back into an outlet and everything worked. Long process, but worked for me.
Options
2021-05-20 15:31:43

@morgue2000 Hey, how did you chane the ip on the device. A step by step would be helpful, I'm not very good at dealing with net problems.

Options
2021-05-24 10:01:03 - last edited 2021-05-24 10:02:17

Carl wrote

3.  If possible ping to the Gateway address to see if you can communicate with the router.

@Carl 

This step failed for me. What does that mean?

Options