Adding a third-party mesh point to my Deco M5 network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-01-20 21:26:04

I've recently setup TP-Link Deco M5 with 3 units.  One is the primary/main unit and connected directly to my modem, and the other two are connected via Ethernet backhaul. 

So, in ASCII art diagram form:

<modem> ---- <deco M5 main> ----- <dumb gigabit switch> ----- <deco M5 #2>

\

\

-----<deco M5 #3>

I have another router/Wifi AP, the Turris Omnia, that I'd like to add as a fourth unit, i.e.

<modem> ---- <deco M5 main> ----- <dumb gigabit switch> ----- <deco M5 #2>

\

\

-----<deco M5 #3>

\

\

-----<turris omnia, deco mesh point #4> (proposed)

My question is this:  does the Deco M5 system support third-party mesh points?  If so, what protocols do I need to use in order to set my Turris Omnia up as a fourth wireless mesh point? 

Thanks in advance for any tips on this!

Options
4 Reply
Re:Adding a third-party mesh point to my Deco M5 network
2019-01-21 21:22:36

@phireph0x Unfortunately, that would not work. The Deco mesh technology is proprietary and will only work with other TP-Link Deco units such as the M9/M5.

Options
Re:Re:Adding a third-party mesh point to my Deco M5 network
2019-01-23 12:18:01

OK, thanks for the details.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Adding a third-party mesh point to my Deco M5 network
2019-01-23 12:19:20 - last edited 2019-01-23 12:19:49

Does Deco use protocols for wireless mesh beyond the 802.11k/v/r mentioned on the product website?

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Adding a third-party mesh point to my Deco M5 network
2019-01-23 18:00:02

@phireph0x 

No at this time the wireless mesh protocols supported are the one listed 802.11K/V/R.  In the furture more may be supported but it will be based on product and hardware capablities.  We will deffiantly add a post here on the community should we have any new infromation like that.

Best Regards 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2188

Replies: 4