Archer C3200 Not Getting Full Wireless Speeds?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-02-06 00:48:00

Hey everyone. 

I'll try and make this short.  I've just purchased a new router (Archer C3200) to replace my exsiting one.  However, while my wired connection gets full 100/10 speeds, I can never seem to get full speeds wirelessly.  I tend to get around 50-70mb/s download even with zero devices connected.  My previous router had no issues obtaining full speeds.

Is there any quick adjustments that could be made with the router?

Thanks guys.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Archer C3200 Not Getting Full Wireless Speeds?
2019-02-06 17:37:40

@ehjay 

So wireless is a different beast then wired connections.  There are a lot of factors that actually affect the wireless speed of a network.  Band, Channel interference, Distance, Obstructions, just to name a few.  Due to these factors it is not uncommon to see 10-15% reduction of network speeds overall.  

To begin to troubleshoot you first want to check which band you are on, 2.4Ghz, 5GHz-1, or 5GHz-2.  This is important because depending on the band you may be more seceptible to channel or band interference.  2.4GHz is very saturated,  not only is it the main band that wireless network use, you also have bluetooth and even micorwaves on that frequency.  If you are on 2.4 then you will want to check to see if you are set to Channels 1, 6, or 11.  These channels have the least ammount of overlap so they are genrally the most stable.  However as this is widely known they are also the most congested.  You would likely want to choose a 5GHz band if its an option or if not an option use a wifi analazyer to determine the least congested channel and use that.  

Distance and obstructions also play a very major role in speed issues.  Each obsticle the signal goes through slows it down as does the distance it travels.  Objects that absorb radio waves slow it down even more so.  Ideally you want your router centerally located to limit this absorbition and distance issue.  

Another option too would be to use Smart Connect.   What smart connect does is allow the Router to decide the band a device goes on.  You set a single SSID and password and the router does the rest, based on device capabliites, distance  and type of content being requested

Options
Re:Re:Archer C3200 Not Getting Full Wireless Speeds?
2019-02-06 21:27:19 - last edited 2019-02-06 21:29:01

I'm definitely using/focusing on the 5GHz band.  I have placed this router in the exact same spot as my previous one.  I have also placed my device directly beside the router and am experiencing quite a decline in speed.  I just assumed that a simple router swap would result in the same wireless speeds and not result in nearly a 50% speed drop when compared to wired.

Could there be some sort of setting to alter to correct this?

Options
Re:Re:Re:Archer C3200 Not Getting Full Wireless Speeds?
2019-02-07 00:26:03

@ehjay 

A few things you can try in that case.  Check the channel width and make sure each channel is on the highest setting.  For 5GHz it would be 80MHz.  2nd try changing the channel to a specific channel.  Or, you can try to enable Smart Connect and let the router do the descion making and see if that improve the services.  

I would also recommend making sure the latest Frimware is installed. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Archer C3200 Not Getting Full Wireless Speeds?
2019-02-08 01:02:06

I have tried all that.  In the end, I have decided to return the router.  Upon purchasing a new one, my speeds have returned to where they were originally at.

Thank you for your help with this matter.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2006

Replies: 4