Local only

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Local only

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
155 Reply
Re:Local only
2019-11-14 08:07:00

@Carl 

Yes, they are both listed as local only. Alexa is not capable of turning them off/on and remotely I cannot control them/check the energy consumption.

Options
2019-11-14 17:30:08

@eddy__pp 

Okay that makes sense.  1st step to resolve this is make sure your bulbs are on the latest frimware.  From the main screen click on the 3-lines at the upper left corner, then click on settings and finally Firmware.  

Once the devices are on the latest firmware close the app and relaunch it and see if there has been a change.  

If the devices are already on the latest firmware tap on one of the bulbs.  Access its settings "upper right corner"  and you should see a Remote Control toggle.  This toggle only appears if your device is local only.  Turn on the remote control.  Once it is successful the toggle should vanish and your product should be on ready to use remotely.  

Another question is do you have any Kasa device that are working remotely or with Alexa?  If not and the steps above to do not help there actually may be an issue in your router that is not allowing the communication with our cloud server.  To rule that out you can try two things.  1.  take a device to another network and set it up there.  2.  set one of the devices to a reserved DHCP address and then put that address in your routers DMZ.  This will open all ports to the device and bypass any firewall settings that could possibly be interfering.  If either of these options work the issue would be in the router and likely with the firrwall. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Local only
2019-12-11 02:27:55

@Carl 

any update?  It's been 9 months of this. I have one plug not working and this is very frustrating. 

Options
2019-12-11 02:35:09

I finally had to change my modem and router.  The plugs are now working.

I think Xfinity made some changes and it affected the router and it's ability to stay connected.

Once I changed the modem and router, everything works.

Options
2019-12-11 18:09:24

@Lynn1179 

Not really anything to fix.  Every situation is different.  Most of the issues with Smart plugs and their connection tend to be caused by the routers.  For instance a recent frimware update with the Linksys Velop system caused Smart plugs to not be able to connect to the network.  Users either had to create a 2.4GHz only Guest network or had to downgrade their router's frimware.  

If you have specfics for your issue please let us know and we can help issolate the cause

Options
2019-12-11 18:12:22

@Carl we have the issue with only one of our four plugs. It is on the same network as the others. We can't figure out why. 

any trouble shooting ideas would be helpful 

thanks 

Options
2019-12-12 01:46:41

@Lynn1179 

Well lets start with what are you experiancing with this plug.  That will help us direct the troubelshooting steps. 

Options
2019-12-12 20:05:36

@Carl 

I get the local only message from time to time. Then I can't use the app to turn it on and off, nor can Alexa control it. 

I have four other plugs, on the same network/IP address and have no issues with them 

Options
2019-12-12 21:38:50

@Lynn1179 

If you are getting the local only message from time to time that indicates the plug is losing access to the cloud service, this would also be the reason why remote control and Alexa control fail, but you should still be able to control it locally.  If you are losing the ability to control it locally (from the Kasa app on the same wifi network) then the issue may very well be the device is losing connectivity to the network.  You could have it in an area with poor signal or there could be interference or conjection.  Have you tried to move the plug closer to your router?  Also, are you up to date on the firmware?

Options
2020-01-22 05:10:02

I'm having this exact same issue with one of my HS100 switches. It is definitely on the most recent firmware, as are my other 3 switches, and all 3 have been working with Google Home until today. 

Now none of them respond when I command Google to turn them on or off. I've messed with my internet, contacted my ISP to verify no changes on their end, rebooted everything (unplug/replug), delinked my Kasa account from Google and re-linked it, unlinked the switches and re-linked them.  

To add insult to injury, the one is now showing as local only, while the other 3 are all showing normally. 

Options
Related Articles