Low Voltage Dry Contact Switch Version?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-03-19 13:28:55

I have a fireplace with a low voltage switch to turn on and off. It's a standard toggle switch.

Would love to use one of the Kasa switches. However, this needs a neutral as power and has no independant contacts.

I do have 120V power in the adjacent circuit so if there was a switch that would be powered off a tap from that with the independant contact, that would be perfect.

I don't think TP has anything compatible. Is there another brand that has something like this, and importantly, works with the TP app? Don't want to have half a dozen aps to roam through for different devices.

If TP is listening, this would be a good product addition. Also a garage opener. Same thing, dry contact, but only momentary contact closure.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Low Voltage Dry Contact Switch Version?
2019-03-20 17:19:10

@Seamas.R 

How low of a voltage are you needing.  The Smart switches we currently sell need a minimum of 100V to operate.  They do however require a neutral wire and seperate live and load wires to properly function.

Options
Re:Low Voltage Dry Contact Switch Version?
2021-01-30 20:59:37 - last edited 2021-01-30 21:00:10

@Seamas.R 

Hey! I've got a solution.

You need to buy this $30 gadget and it makes the magic happen. Plus other parts total $50.

I'll explain what I did here, I opened my wall switch wanting to install a tp link casa to control my fireplace only to find the low voltage wires. Ugh. Started doing research and finally figured out a way. Hopefully your fireplace is wired like mine. All you really need is 120v power or 5v usb power inside your fireplace where the low voltage wires go. Usually there is a constant hot power outlet inside your fireplace for future addons like the blower or something of that nature. So basically what you need is first a smart outlet, then a 120v to 5v usb cube and finally a usb cable to micro usb to plug into the gadget. Now when you pair the smart outlet it'll give power and bam! Fireplace turns on. Siri, Alexa, whatever you want.

I purchased the gadget off eBay. Try and search: "Smart switch for you Fireplace. Works with ALEXA AND GOOGLE HOME - 5v switch
2 QUICK CONNECTIONS INCLUDED - Milivolt Gas valves" it won't let me post a link. For the power adapter simply search "wall outlet to mini usb".

and lastly you need the Kasa Smart HS103 outlet. About $50 total for this setup!

The best part is this is totally safe and does not bypass any built in safety options that your fireplace has. All your adding is simply a secondary switch to your regular switch.

Best part about this for me is I can control it with my brilliant smart system and also my iPhone and Siri, "Hey Siri, turn on my fireplace". Enjoy!

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 4835

Replies: 3