Using Printers connected to Archer A2300

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-03-24 01:19:49 - last edited 2019-05-08 23:58:49
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

I have two printers attached to the back of my new Archer AC2300 via Ethernet cables, just as they had been attached to my WD MyNet N600. No indication of their presence can I find on the Archer screens, nor can I find any way to "add" these printers to my network, therefore every printing effort fails.

They are HP1006dn, and HP Officejet Pro 8610.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Re:Using Printers connected to Archer A2300-Solution
2019-03-25 21:11:34 - last edited 2019-05-08 23:58:49

The problem solution (provided by a friend) turned out that the inability to access the printers was caused by the IP address that this TP-Link router uses for the LAN. 

The two printers have IP addresses (required because the connections are via Ethernet cables) of 192.168.1.133 and .143. By going to the ADVANCED Tab of the Router set-up and changing the LAN address of the router from 192.168.0.1 (TP-Link router factory default) to 192.168.1.1 (used by my old Western Digital N600 router) the router can now communicate with the two printers. 

I am somewhat surprised that this topic (connecting devices via LAN) is never mentioned in the Archer User Guide.  It is WELL-COVERED in the manual for the WD router, including DHCP.  The only somewhat related topic covered in the Archer Guide is for adding a single device (printer?) via USB.  I'll bet that I'm not the only person who has been hit by conflicting factory defaults when changing brands of routers.

I am not familiar with DHCP so I don't know if that would have worked for me or not, but thanks for the info - I will look into it for future situations.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Using Printers connected to Archer A2300
2019-03-25 17:50:40 - last edited 2019-05-08 23:58:49

@hankjeff 

HankJeff,

So to view your DHCP client list you will want to log into your router and click on Advanced > Network> DHCP Server.  Then look at DHCP client list.  it looks like this:

If you do not see the Address here than you may need to check the printers to ensure their network adapter connections were reset.  Most people setup a network router with a reserved or static IP address this way the network address doesn't change.  Also if you have an existing network printer loaded on your PC you will need to remove it and re-add it with its new location address.   

My recomendation would be to set up the printers up as DHCP devices then log into the router and (see screenshot above) Click "add"  under address reservation then click on Scan and choose the printer(s).  and save.  This will allow you to keep the printers DHCP whlie setting their network address to stay what it current settings. 

Options
Re:Re:Using Printers connected to Archer A2300-Solution
2019-03-25 21:11:34 - last edited 2019-05-08 23:58:49

The problem solution (provided by a friend) turned out that the inability to access the printers was caused by the IP address that this TP-Link router uses for the LAN. 

The two printers have IP addresses (required because the connections are via Ethernet cables) of 192.168.1.133 and .143. By going to the ADVANCED Tab of the Router set-up and changing the LAN address of the router from 192.168.0.1 (TP-Link router factory default) to 192.168.1.1 (used by my old Western Digital N600 router) the router can now communicate with the two printers. 

I am somewhat surprised that this topic (connecting devices via LAN) is never mentioned in the Archer User Guide.  It is WELL-COVERED in the manual for the WD router, including DHCP.  The only somewhat related topic covered in the Archer Guide is for adding a single device (printer?) via USB.  I'll bet that I'm not the only person who has been hit by conflicting factory defaults when changing brands of routers.

I am not familiar with DHCP so I don't know if that would have worked for me or not, but thanks for the info - I will look into it for future situations.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 887

Replies: 2