3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
689 Reply
Re:3 way Dimmer switch?
2020-03-09 16:51:54
Did your solution allow the 3-way plug to be used as a dimmer? Or can Alexa dim it for you?
Options
2020-03-09 17:14:14

@Starfish1 

Not sure if @Starfish1's question was directed at me, but for the HS220 dimmer that is wired to the load it does allow proper dimming.  It is only the dummy (i.e. non-loaded) HS220 that will not allow dimming control.  The dummy switch does allow on-off control of the lights though.

I have not connected the dimmers to Alexa yet, but I don't anticipate any reason why they wouldn't work.  

Options
2020-03-09 18:37:51 - last edited 2020-03-09 18:41:42

@Starfish1 

Both. Dimmer is functional and also Alexa can dim upon command. Of course the beauty of voice command is that you can control from any room within earshot of Alexa device. So, at least in my case, there was really no need to have a three way switch any longer.

Options
2020-03-09 21:35:11

@ZEF 

We forwarded the request (again) to the PM of our smart home division. 

Options
2020-03-09 21:39:32

@RumRunner 

I wish we could say that its in development or even give a timeframe.  The problem is projects can change all the time and no matter what we put out or how its stated we will get negative customer feedback so we no longer provide any infromation about upcomming or potentialy upcoming projects, at least until it has been 100% confrimed. 

Options
2020-03-09 23:38:57

Hi @Carl,

Happy to hear this is getting back to your product team.  I would note that under the "smart switches" category on your forum this thread (as of this moment) has the second highest number of views, so I think you have significant interest from your users in this topic.  (Note that the highest view count topic relates to 2c below.)

Can you pleas confirm that the feedback to the PM for the product line has included these important elements?

1. The user community has expressed interest in a proper 3-way dimmer product, with equivalent non-network functionality to similar products from other switch makers like Lutron.  See their dimmer/companion dimmer product here for reference.

2. The user community would like to see the App/API to the HS220 product opened up to allow: 

a) Tying the dimmer setting from one HS220 to the dimmer setting of another HS220.  (This would allow the configuration I posted earlier to function, albeit with some latency, like a proper multi-location dimmer.)

b) Control of the dimming setting from external applications, such as IFTTT

c) Ability to use the button presses (and double-click, long press, etc.) on the dimmer to serve as triggers for external applications, such as IFTTT.

Thanks!

Options
2020-03-10 00:57:04

@KirkMeyers 

Sure we will provide that however i can answer two of your points.  TP-Link Kasa products can not be trigger devices on IFTTT.  Right now our partnership with IFTTT only allows for our devices to be action devices.  As such the abilty to control other devices or control dimming using IFTTT is not possible.  As for external partnerships our devices are already comptible with Alexa, Google Assistant and Samsung SmartThings.  

That said we will forward your remarks to the team, I just wanted to make sure that you understand some feature enhancments may be limited by partnerships.

Best Regards 

Options
2020-03-14 01:01:48

Just about to pull the trigger on 25 of these and just realized there's no 3 way dimmer compatibility. That's a bummer, looks like I have to spend more money and get the GE Enbrightens. 

Options
2020-04-09 20:41:13

@Carl 

any updates on 3-way dinner? I too am looking to stay with Kasa/tp-link but need a dimmer 3 way.

Options
2020-04-09 20:57:47

@pt44 

Hi, Its deffiantly been talked about but nothing has been confrimed to me yet, nor have i seen it on any potenital or confrimed roadmap.  Sorry.

Options
Related Articles