3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
689 Reply
Re:3 way Dimmer switch?
2020-05-02 03:33:20

@funkhouse9 yes, this works, I have two setup that way.

Hot > tp-link 3-way > Manual non-TP-link 3-way Dimmer > switch leg (lights).

I use these Lutron 3-way dimmer https://amzn.to/2VSIrGh for the dimmers, but any manual 3-way dimmer will work.

I really do hope TP-link releases an actual 3-way dimmer. While "it works" I really miss having wirelss dimming. I've held off but am very tempted to replace these two with Lutron Caessta wireless 3-ways (which aren't really, it's a single pole with a wireless remote control).   I do most of my dimming via voice control, not the kasa app, so having to tell siri/alexa/google to dim my lights and have it figure out which app to use isn't that big of a burden.

I'm pretty sure you can't actually have two wired dimmers on the same circut or they'll interfere with eachother.  But hardware designers can get around it by having the dimmer hardware in one swtich and a wirelss remote in the other, this can't be _that_ hard for tp-link to build.

Options
2020-05-02 03:52:48 - last edited 2020-05-02 03:54:05

Also worth noting... you can't have two "dimmers" hardware on the same circuit or they'll interfere with each-other. So what "3-way smart dimmers" are really doing is paring a standard dimmer (master - 2-pole dimmer) with some sort of remote control second switch that isn't even on the circut.

Lutron Casetta does it with a master (2-pole smart dimmer) and a remote that is actually wireless and battery powered.

TopGreener just released one that uses master (2-pole smart dimer) but then the other end is wired for power, but it's not actually connected to travelers or on the switch leg of the light. It seems trivial at this point for tp-link to develop this sort of hardware on it's own, that they still haven't is really baffling.

Options
2020-05-08 14:53:14
I’m would love if they would release a 3-way too. Other brands that have 3-way capability will allow as many as you want to be linked in 3,4,5-way, etc. It’s a really easy way to add 3-way wherever you want, even without existing 3-way wiring. Come on Tp-link. Step up.
Options
2020-05-08 20:40:53

@Carl Hi Carl - please add me to the list of customers requesting a Kasa 3-Way Dimmer Kit as well. I love the Kasa ecosystem and don't want sacrifice parity to go with a 3-way dimmer option from another company.

Options
2020-05-08 20:45:43

@Harrier the guy is trying to help us out as much as he can. He said he's forwarding along our input. Since I don't think Carl is a Product Lead or someone in a position to actually get the product made, that is the most we can ask for. No need to go after him on a spelling/grammar mistake - I don't see how that helps anything...

Options
2020-05-08 20:57:25

@Trent1 

Not a problem. In fact i just actually inquired about this again.  If i get any updates i will let you know.   

Options
2020-05-08 21:18:47

Just bought two pairs of these TopGreener 3-way dimmers from Amazon https://amzn.to/2WgK80l Installing next week.

I really wish they were tp-link like the other 20 smart switches I have :/ Mostly so they'd work with "scenes", but I've decided I'd rather have some voice (gAssistant/Alexa) control over dimming, rather than none while keeping everything in the "kasa ecosystem".

Dear tp-link - I just spent $50 per pair on 3-way dimmers from someone else, $100 total...  and I'm willing to throw those in the trash and buy yours when you finally get your act together and make some.  That's got to mean something...   It's such a massive hole in the product line.  

Options
2020-05-15 15:47:37

Hello everyone.  

We have got good news.  Our Smart Home team just infromed us: 

"We have received your Feedback and are happy to announce that a product is in the works and we are looking for a release later this year"

We will provide more information as it becomes available.  Please keep an eye on KasaSmart.com for the latest details.  

Options
2020-05-19 17:47:58

@Carl 

Thank you! Thank you for continuing to submit our request. Any way you can get the folks on this thread a discount code when they come out? Looking forward to seeing the final product! 

Also, for the rest of us here....we did it! Thank you all for backing me up, and expressing your concerns. 

Carl wrote

Hello everyone.  

We have got good news.  Our Smart Home team just infromed us: 

"We have received your Feedback and are happy to announce that a product is in the works and we are looking for a release later this year"

We will provide more information as it becomes available.  Please keep an eye on KasaSmart.com for the latest details.  

Options
2020-05-19 18:08:28

@Carl I'm going to also suggest a push for a no-neutral wire option for this. Competitors are jumping ahead into that territory and while a neutral-dependent option is highly desired here, there is a big segment looking for no-neutral options and I think it's wise to aim for where the industry is headed and not just to try to get caught up.

Options
Related Articles