3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
689 Reply
Re:3 way Dimmer switch?
2020-05-26 14:12:30

@funkhouse9 your reply was spot on and certainly not complaining.  Ignore the trolls just ranting and looking for drama. 

i wouldn't call lutrons setup a switch, I'd call it a battery operated remote since it has no wires at all.  Lol.  It is a awesome and unique solution to this though and it would be cool if tplink offered a wireless remote like that as well.  

there are a couple issues with tplink copying Lutron Casettas wireless remote though:

it's battery powered.  
lt communicates with a smart hub (zwave, zigbee, I forget which), not WiFi.  

Making a battery powered WiFi switch is impractacle/impossible due to power consumption of an always on radio, but tplink could build a little repeater/hub that plugged into the wall and recover signals from a battery powered switch.

Again, though that seems unlikely given how much gear would need to be designed and sold just to support this one use when everything else the make is WiFi only (which is why I use it).

The casetta system is really great though. IMHO the best hardware out there if you don't mind needing a hub or having to run a separate system for smart plugs (which honestly was the biggest factor for me). 

Options
2020-05-26 14:53:48

@Carl 

Thanks for sharing the information about the upcoming 3-way dimmer.  This is great news.  

One of my messages had a request that dimmers could be grouped together using Smart Actions.  I have that set up today to allow on-off functions of two different HS220s to control each other, but Smart Actions don't allow triggers/changes based on the dimming setting.  This might be something that could be done in software without needing a new product.  Is this something that has been communicated to the product team?

Options
2020-05-26 18:30:53

@KirkMeyers 

I'll add that to our monthly suggestion email to the design teams.   Thank you 

Options
2020-06-02 15:41:14 - last edited 2020-06-02 15:42:28

Thanks @Carl !!   This is great news and is keeping me from going with another brand for our new home build. Purchasing a total of 42 smart switches, only 5 of which require a 3-way dimmer...but this was a make it or break it situation as I was not going to use two different types of switches. This announcement kept me from going with a competitor's product, so thanks again!

With that said, is there any rough estimate as to when these might be available? Or any documentation that can be shared at this time for requirements? For example, I assume we can pair one 3-way dimmer with a standard "dumb" switch for the other switch location, just like we can do today with the HS210 3-way switch? Anything that can be provided would be very so we can plan electrical rough-in accordingly.

THANK YOU!!!

Options
2020-06-02 15:57:51

@btd 

We are Shooting for late Q3 through the end of Q4.  Based on experiance its likely going to be in Q4 early Q1 2021. 

Options
2020-06-02 16:08:15

@Carl thank you again!  Please let me know if you need any beta testers or any way to get my hands on the switches any sooner.  I'm a product manager in the tech space so if there are any opportunities for beta testing please let me know and I would be more than happy to assist if there is an opportunity to do so.  

Options
2020-06-03 14:15:16 - last edited 2020-06-03 14:28:06

@funkhouse9 I didn't think you were being critical either. It makes sense to be forward thinking particularly about no neutral. I would guess that a good 15%+ of the homes in america have no neutral and you're cutting them out completely from smartswitches requiring one. I to had noticed a few competitors coming out with a no neutral required but I figured it was best not to push it to much here, baby steps, lets just get a switch out type thing! LOL.

@jb510 even though it may be in the code there are a few instances where they still don't require it, or at least did not up until recently. Our house is 7 years old and the switch by my garage does not have one. My father-in-law who was an electriacian told me why it probably wasn't needed but I've since forgotten. We figured we could drill through the stud next to it and tap into the outlet down below it for a neutral it it ever came out.The Lutrons are nice and seem to have good functionality. I was never a fan of the layouts, the switches just always seemed busy to me. 4+ big buttons plus the dimmer leds. I liked the sleekness of the one main button on Kasa. I always thought, I like the dimmer function(which is why we are discussing here) but I use it a lot less than the main on/off so I don't need the huge dimmer button like on the lutrons.

Don't one of the competitors you had referenced work on bluetooth to keep the radio power pretty low via battery? Seems like Schlage also had a bluetooth option for this reason but I would have to dig back in to confirm.

@KleyP I second the 4way and I mentioned way back I've got at least 2 of those locations and would have a 3rd once installed in my basement, maybe a stackable type system, 3way+1. Seems like once you get past the 3-way setup that one more would be no big deal. But again, given this glaring hole that it took this long to fill I'm not holding out for a 4-way option. 

Anyways, cheers everyone. With any luck I can tell the family to put several sets of these for me under the Xmas tree!

Options
2020-06-03 14:38:34

@KirkMeyers Do you use Alexa? If I understand what you are asking I believe you can set a routine in Alexa to handle that. I have one that turns on my bedroom dimmer in the morning at a predefined dimmer level. You can even ramp it over time. I would think Google platform would have a similar feature.

Options
2020-06-03 15:41:02

@Wolfpack98, I haven't connected my Kasa switches to Alexa yet.  That could work as a further workaround, and I will try it.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I do think the more intuitive solution would be to be able to group dimmers to control each others dimming levels (I can already create a Smart Action to group on/off control, so dimming control is just an extension of that functionality.)

-km

Options
2020-06-03 16:21:47

@btd 

On our main page under home products there is a banner for our Beta Tester application.  Please fill that out.  The testing teams pull beta testers from there.  

Options
Related Articles