Right Product for WiFi Extension

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-03-25 05:39:29

I recently purchased the AV 2000 to try and extend Wi-Fi into an area of my home that does not get coverage. I want to know if this is the right product for this or not. Basically my situation is I have good Wi-Fi in the house but out in the garage it cuts off. I want to be able to have my iPad or phone Wi-Fi be able get a strong signal when working in the garage. I installed the units and it seems to get slightly better Wi-Fi coverage but not by much. Also the unit in the garage seems to keep dropping the network signal every couple of minutes requiring me to unplug it and plug it back in. Is this the right product for what I am trying to achieve? And if so how can I get better performance? 

Options
4 Reply
Re:Right Product for WiFi Extension
2019-03-25 18:44:35

@Terborg 

Well a few things we would need to know:

1.  Is the garage attached or detached?

2.  How is the Powerline connection between the two adapters?  you can tell this easliy by logging into the TPPLC app on your mobile device or computer.  Your client device will need to be connected to either the wireless or ethernet of the remote adapter.

3.  Are you using a unique name for the wireless or have you cloned the SSID of the router?  

4.  When the drops happen does anything happen to the lights on the unit?

5.  Are there any large appliances near the remote adapter? If, So are they plugged dirrectly into an outlet or are they in a Surge Protector?

After we get these questions answered we can determine if you have the correct product. 

Options
2019-03-26 17:50:04

Thanks for the response. I am hoping saince you are respoinding with questions, the product can work for the application. 

In the app, my device does not show. Again I have the AV2000 (TL-PA9020P Kit).

As to the other questions:

1.  Is the garage attached or detached? - Detached. The modem and router are upstairs about 80 feet away. The first unit is plugged directly into the wall socket and Cat-5 to the Wireless router

2.  How is the Powerline connection between the two adapters?  you can tell this easliy by logging into the TPPLC app on your mobile device or computer.  Your client device will need to be connected to either the wireless or ethernet of the remote adapter. - I cannot tell as device does not show in app and is not listed as compatable. As stated above the client device is wired directly to the router.

3.  Are you using a unique name for the wireless or have you cloned the SSID of the router?   - Didn't know I could do this. Only instructions I saw where to plug the units in, affirm the Power and Home light were lit and to setup the Secure Network by pairing the units (which was done)

4.  When the drops happen does anything happen to the lights on the unit? - The Home light on the unit goes out and the Power light starts blinking.

5.  Are there any large appliances near the remote adapter? - No large appliances.

6. If, So are they plugged dirrectly into an outlet or are they in a Surge Protector? - N/A

Hope that helps and again I appreciate the response.

Options
Re:Re:Right Product for WiFi Extension
2019-03-26 19:16:04 - last edited 2019-03-26 19:17:14

@Terborg 

The powerline kit that you have does not provide any wireless capability, only for a wired connection.

Here is a link for our powerline adapter kits that do provide a wireless connection from the second adapter. I would recommend the TL-WPA7510 KIT or higher, none of the TL-WPA4xxx models:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/powerline/?filterby=4893

The reason why the power light starts blinking is because there is no activity so the unit goes into power save mode.

Once you get a wireless powerline kit a Wi-Fi signal will emit from the device you plug into the garage that you can connect to rather then the Wi-Fi signal that is inside your house.

Options
2019-03-26 22:25:31

Excellent. Hence my first question. I will look into replacing.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 706

Replies: 4