Xbox 360 slow over wireless

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-04-05 23:11:45 - last edited 2019-06-10 16:41:15
Model: Archer C9  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.3.1 Build 20171215 rel.35219(5553)

I purchased this TP-Link AC1900 router to replace an old Linksys unit that failed and since installing it I have had really unreliable download/upload speeds on my Xbox 360 and it is affecting being able to play games or streaming.

The AC1900 sits behind an Actiontec M1424WR FiOS wireless router the connects to the Internet. By default I have the wireles on the M1424WR disabled. If I enable it and connect the Xbox 360 to it I get an average download/upload of about 20Mbps. This speed is the same whether I turn off wireless on the AC1900 or not. If I connect to the AC1900 the upload drops to 9Mbps and the download drops to 3 - 3.2Mbps. I've tried changing channels, channel width and switching the 2.4GHz mode to G/N or N only. I've tried setting manual DNS but that didn't make a difference. Disabling WMM doesn't either. It doesn't matter if there are other wireless devices connected to the AC1900 at the same time or not but the other wireless devices all come back with wireless speeds averaging around 75Mbps up/dn which is what I'm paying for.

Is there something inherent in this routers firmware that is capping traffic to my Xbox or is there a setting I'm overlooking? I searched the forums and didn't find anything specific so if this issue has already been addressed I apologize for the repost.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Xbox 360 slow over wireless-Solution
2019-06-10 16:40:19 - last edited 2019-06-10 16:42:32

@Carl

So I received the Wireless N adapter and it increased the bandwidth somewhat but it's still pretty flaky. However, even with the new adapter hooked up and the the 360 directly connected to my CPE, I'm getting the same results. Every other device that connects through the Archer C9, whether over VPN, WiFi (either band) or wired, all out pace the 360 now. Looks like the wireless adapter in it is finally crapping out. Thanks for sticking it out. :) I'm calling this issue resolved.

Recommended Solution
Options
17 Reply
Re:Xbox 360 slow over wireless
2019-04-08 17:42:21

@desk_jedi 

If you were to wire your Xbox to the TP-Link router, what speeds do you get?

Options
Re:Re:Xbox 360 slow over wireless
2019-04-22 17:28:45

Sorry to the late reply. Guess my alerts don't work. Here are the results of my tests:

Wired:

Wireless:

As you can see, the upload speeds are nearly the same but there is a wicked disparity between download speeds. If you suspect the Wifi adapter is failing, it isn't. If I re-enable the wireless on my CPE and connect through it the download speeds look like those when wired. It's like the Archer C9 is throttling it back.

Options
2019-04-24 19:54:20

@desk_jedi 

There is one other setting you could try, that is NAT Boost which is located at Advanced > System Tools > System Parameters, scroll down.

If that does not yield any results, I would suggest contacting our support as they will be able to research your case further.

Options
2019-04-30 00:14:13

Thanks, Tony but it didn't make a difference. I'll open a ticket with support. Thanks,

Options
2019-04-30 21:21:06

@desk_jedi 

First thing we would want to check is the AC1900 in AP mode or is it routing?  2nd when you connect via Ethernet is it to the AC1900 or to the Actiontec?  We would want to rule out any double NAT or any communication issues between network devices.  Another thing we can try is set you MTU of the Xbox to 1472. 

Best Regards 

Options
2019-05-01 01:58:38 - last edited 2019-05-01 02:16:03

I'm assuming you want me to change the MTU value on my router because there isn't a way to change it on the Xbox 360 that I know of. It is not in AP mode. Devices on the network only connect to the AC1900. It in turn connects to the Actiontec which is connected to the Internet. The TP-Link acts as a DHCP server, print server and secondary firewall for the LAN which is on a different subnet than WAN facing side of the AC1900.

Chaning the MTU size from the default 1500 to 1472 as you suggested had no effect on the download speed. I compared it to the MTU setting on the Actiontec and confirmed that it is also set to 1500 so MTU isn't the cause here. NO, this router is bottlenecking traffic from the Xbox 360 and I want it fixed. I'd like to know why as well but I'll settle for it being fixed. I've opened a ticket with support but apprently everyone is on holiday until the fourth. Guess I'll just have to wait...

Options
2019-05-18 15:32:02 - last edited 2019-05-23 18:15:34

So for anyone who might still be watching, or happens upon this thread researching a similar issue, the result of all this turned out to be the router failing. After basically being told by support, "sorry, we can't help you. Use a cable instead!" the WAN port on the C9 went kaput and the router is being replaced. We'll see what happens when the replacement arrives but if results are the same I'm going out a buying another router. Overall, I've found the Archer C9 to be a bit underwhelming in terms of overall performance and flexibility. It's Wi-Fi bands are supposed to be stronger than my CPE, but when placed side by side the CPE's range covers almost my entire property( ~.333 acre) and the C9 barely covers the whole house (~1400 sqft more or less in the middle of the property). That's for both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. Using the router as cloud storage was frustratingly slow but I only had an older USB2.0 thumb drive to test with so it may not have been the routers fault. I still think it may bog down trying to manage large file transfers regardless of storage media quality though, just speculation. The printer server feature is flashy but isn't really a printer server. You still have to install an app on your PC that has to be running to print. Why? Let the router's firmware handle that. All of my wired connections performed well both online and over the LAN but that wasn't why I chose this router, wireless was. I hope the replacement changes my mind otherwise the C9 is going on eBay and I'm finding another router vendor.

Options
2019-05-23 18:39:15

@desk_jedi 

You explained the AC1900 is setup in router mode and is acting as the DHCP server, print server and firewall. Then is connected to the Actiontec which is connected to the internet.  In this regard if the Actiontec is a gateway and acting as a router as well the issue may not be with the C9 but rather how your network is setup.  If the Actiontec is routing then it is providing a Private IP as your WAN IP to the C9 regardless if the C9 is using a sperate subnet or not this will create a double NAT situation.  With a Double NAT situation your data is transcribed from one private network to another and then to the public internet.  This type of setup is known to cause issues in how data routes because of the double translation.  

The Print Server feature is only for printers that do not have a network printing feature.  If your printer is wireless or has ethernet capablities then you won't need to use this feature 

For the MTU settings I was referring to the Xbox. By slightly lowering the MTU of the Xbox making it lower that the router's MTU setting you make the data packets smaller and allow for a better flow of data.  While we can't say for certain if the Xbox allows this like the Playstation does if it does you should be able to change this in the advance network settings.  

Best Regards 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Xbox 360 slow over wireless
2019-05-29 21:20:24

@Carl 

Just so it's clear, I've been operating in this configuration or some variation thereof for over 15 years with no problems until recently and only with the 360. Double NAT has never been a problem before now (nor should it ever be, businesses all over the world use much more complicated configurations today without issue), and that was using routers by Linksys, Dlink and Asus over the years. Furthermore double NAT is not the purpouse of this thread. I have at the moment of my writing this post no less than 7 devices connected via wi-fi and 3 of those are on the 2.4GHz channel. One if those is the Xbox which is now crawling along at it's usuall 9/3 Mbps rate. The other two wireless devices are the printer and an HP Pavilion laptop which speedtests at 40/40 Mbps. 

Now, as it so happens, I've ordered an external N wi-fi adapter for the 360 so I can either confirm or rule out it's wireless adapter as the point of failure. I've also had my ISP replace the Actiontec with a newer FiOS-G1100 unit.

Current configuration: Internet >> (DHCP) FiOS-G1100 Gateway (STATIC) >> (STATIC) Archer C9 (DHCP) >> (DHCP) LAN

I know the the "print server" feature isn't necessary for network enabled printers but the one we have is an older wi-fi model (no Ethernet) and our Chromebook seems to find it on our network more reliably when it is hosted by a machine and shared. I know, I know, the only real "cloud-based" PC we own can't reliably use the cloud to print. The irony isn't lost on me.

You cannot adjust the MTU settings on the Xbox 360. Not without modding the console anyway, so no. Now you know, make a note. wink

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Xbox 360 slow over wireless
2019-05-29 23:14:26

@desk_jedi 

For computers Double NAT might not be a problem but when dealing with a gaming device using UPNP it can be.  The reason why its not a major issue with buinsess class networks is likely that they will generally have static routes assigned, so that traffic flows properly.  The reason it can be an issue for Gaming consoles and services is because it affect the auto port negoatation the UPNP controls.  Normally traffic translates from one Intranet to the internet,  instead in a Double NAT you will translate from intranet to intranet to internet.  That's not to say that it will always happen only that it is more preveliant in a double NAT enviroment. 

An easy way to rule it out would be to set the Archer C9 and AP mode.  This will eliminate any double NAT translation because the C9 becomes part of the G1100's intranet.  If this fixes the issue then you place the C9 back in router mode and the issue comes back we will know that the issue stems from NAT translation.  

Best Regards 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5015

Replies: 17

Related Articles