Issues using a TP-Link Range Extender with Spectrum Internet services

Issues using a TP-Link Range Extender with Spectrum Internet services

60 Reply
Re:Issues using a TP-Link Range Extender with Spectrum Internet services
2020-07-07 20:35:14

@Kunal-o-tron @malrock @nicholas1

The lastest firmware for the product is published so unless there is a OTA update that has not been added to our manual servers it should be the most recent one.  I will contact out testing team to see if there is more of an update, but we would also recommend contacting Spectrum and demanding an update on their end, since their equipment is what is acutally causing the issue.  They hear it from us but unless customers are also complaining they likely and have proven to move very slowly on this.  If we can figure something out i will provide a further update. 

Options
2020-07-09 17:47:23

@Carl 

I'll be sure to complain to Spectrum about the issue, but if TP Link has already developed a solution I'd like to be able to use that. 

My firmware version is 1.04 Build 20171220 Rel. 73615 which is the same version on the firmware download page, which was published in 2018.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/re450/v2/#Firmware

This leads me to believe that my RE450 hasn't be updated. I've tried rebooting a couple of times to no avail. Please let me know if you have a solution. 

Options
2020-07-10 15:37:26

@nicholas1 

Yeah i noticed that too doing my recent content update check.  I'll need to look into it more with our testing team when they get in.  

Options
2020-07-10 17:40:38

@Carl 

I use the RE450 with a TP Link AC4000 router behind a Spectrum Hitron (E31N2V1) modem.

My first RE450 lasted about 90 days before I returned it to TP Link for a replacement (took 3 days of dealing / negotiating with support). The replacement worked fine for about 10 days.

The RE still extends the networks (2.4 and 5 GHz), but no longer provides internet access. Remarkably the RE450's power button is not responsive and the HW reset buttton neither, unless I power cycle first. Not responding to HW buttons - particualrly keyhole style reset buttons - is usually a sign of defective hardware, or very beta firmware.

Are there any recommended (dhcp?) settings to make theses two TP-Link products cooperate with each other reliably?

Please note that I need to hand out the same IPs to the same devices, so that scripts continue to work.

Options
2020-07-13 18:23:32

@qarkino 

Is the center light lit and blue?  If so what the issue may be is that the extender has likely changed the MAC address header for these device thus breaking their reserved addresses.  I am assuming based on your statement that you need to had out the same IP to device that you are using DHCP reserved address feature on the router. 

Options
2020-07-15 01:32:52

@Carl 

Any updates? No change on my end

Options
2020-07-15 15:49:50

@nicholas1 

Just checked with the testing team.  They are still waiting to hear back from HQ.  

Options
2020-07-21 00:54:27

@Carl , I just received my TPLink range extender RE450 today and having problems connecting to internet using Spectrum router.  Had I known there was an issue I would have not bought this particular range extender.  Before I return it is there any update or answer to this issue?  I have read all the comments posted here. Thanks.

Options
2020-07-21 15:43:25

@MarySM 

No my testing team was under the impression that it had been resolved.  We were told that the software team found a solution and it had been applied via firmware.  We since found out that is not the case and have re-engaged with the team to find out when or if an update from us is going to be released.  I must stress that it is not TP-Link's device that is at fault but rather Specturm's router that is causing the issue.  As soon as i have word one way or the other i will update the thread.

Options
2020-08-05 20:49:47

@Carl 

Been 2 weeks with no update. Is there going to be a firmware update that fixes this issue or should we just give up and return the product? 

Options