Issues using a TP-Link Range Extender with Spectrum Internet services

Issues using a TP-Link Range Extender with Spectrum Internet services

60 Reply
Re:Issues using a TP-Link Range Extender with Spectrum Internet services
2020-08-06 17:11:38

@nicholas1 

Nicholas,  We really have no way to control when updates are published or released.  All i can say is keep looking back every friday when updates are added to the website.  Again this is ultimately caused by an issue in the Spectrum router's firmware.  One other suggestion is that if you are paying a monthly rental fee for the Specturm router, may consider having it replaced with a 3rd party router, even if it isn't TP-Link, you should still resolve this issue without waiting for us to issue a work around or for Spectrum to actually fix the issue.  

Options
2020-08-07 18:40:22

@Carl My question was is the firmware update from your end even going to happen. I'm asking because it's been about a month now since I told you no update had been released and you said you'd check with the testing team to see if it was going to happen or not. It's now 2 months after my original purchase, I still have crappy internet and an $80 paperweight. 

I understand this is Spectrum's issue but their customer service is even worse and won't ever admit fault. Also, TP Link boasts "universal compatability" for the RE450 which is a bit odd considering the first post on this thread is over a year old, so it's been known that it doesn't work with Spectrum routers since then. 

Options
2020-08-07 22:17:58

@nicholas1 

I understand and i did reach out to them but I have no new updates as of yes.  Also, i really don't get updates until the email is sent on Friday of what was added for that week.  I'll reach out again but in all honesty as TP-Link's products are not causing this concern and its only related to one ISPs branded products I'd be hard press to say it has high priority. Not to say it isn't being looked at just that concerns that are more wide spread and especially ones we are responsible for will take pirority.  If i get anything i will let everyone here know.   

Options
2020-08-13 02:56:19
Good to find this thread after spending an entire day trying to get my AC1750 to access internet on my Spectrum router. (a warning on Amazon might save a lot of hassles for everyone) As I understand it, the work around as represented in previous screen shots will work, correct? Is this dependent on first downgrading (or upgrading) firmware on Spectrum router? What is the latest wisdom on attempting a work around that will function NOW. I want to try that. Otherwise, life is too short and I'm afraid I have to return my TP-Link ac1750 to Amazon. Very reluctantly. Carl, I've been in tech for 40 years and I am impressed with how you have stuck with this. Stress is taking responsibility for things over which you have no control. Good man. ;-)
Options
2020-08-13 17:41:59

@HarryGod 

Wish i was able to do more but when its software related we are at the mercy of the developers, wether they be on our side or specturm.  Yes the downgrade and work around previous mentioned should still work, however as it seems specturm has not be to keen to resolve the issue, even after several consultations with our testing team when the issue was first reported, i would suggest swapping the router all together.  For a few reasons in fact 1.  If you are paying a month rental fee you basically buy that product every year.  2.  With gateway devices you are extermely limited by CTMS with what you can do with in the router and its settings. Now you may need to also pick up a stand alone modem but that would elminate the issue completely.  Even if you don't go with a TP-Link router it would be my suggestion. 

Options
2020-09-05 04:27:26

@Carl 

Thank you Carl. I had another thought. Could I use a Cat 6 Ethernet cable from my Spectrum router to the TP_link extender and use the extender as an access point?  This would work fine if I could do it.  Large ranch house, just need to get the tp-link about 100 ft from router and have it pick up signals and pass them through to the router. Would this work with Spectrum?  Not sure if what I'm asking makes sense. But if I can hardwire from the router to the TP-link and have it behave as a router on the other end that would work for me just fine.

Make sense? or would I run into the same problem with Spectrum blocking pass through to the internet?

Carl wrote

@HarryGod 

Wish i was able to do more but when its software related we are at the mercy of the developers, wether they be on our side or specturm.  Yes the downgrade and work around previous mentioned should still work, however as it seems specturm has not be to keen to resolve the issue, even after several consultations with our testing team when the issue was first reported, i would suggest swapping the router all together.  For a few reasons in fact 1.  If you are paying a month rental fee you basically buy that product every year.  2.  With gateway devices you are extermely limited by CTMS with what you can do with in the router and its settings. Now you may need to also pick up a stand alone modem but that would elminate the issue completely.  Even if you don't go with a TP-Link router it would be my suggestion. 

Options
2020-09-05 16:59:20

Decided I'm probably overcomplicating the whole thing. Didn't realize I could replace the Spectrum router. Returning my range extender. Ordered a TP-Link AC1900 router. I'll see how that works first. I think that may solve the issue.

Do I understand correctly that the problem with Spectrum is the router, not the modem?  If so, I have confidence this is the right move. Can always add an extender later if I still need one.

HarryGod wrote

@Carl 

Thank you Carl. I had another thought. Could I use a Cat 6 Ethernet cable from my Spectrum router to the TP_link extender and use the extender as an access point?  This would work fine if I could do it.  Large ranch house, just need to get the tp-link about 100 ft from router and have it pick up signals and pass them through to the router. Would this work with Spectrum?  Not sure if what I'm asking makes sense. But if I can hardwire from the router to the TP-link and have it behave as a router on the other end that would work for me just fine.

Make sense? or would I run into the same problem with Spectrum blocking pass through to the internet?

Carl wrote

@HarryGod 

@HarryGod 

Options
2020-09-08 16:13:49

@HarryGod 

Hi Harry,  

Yes if you ran a cat 5e or up to the Range Extender and it has an AP mode option that would work.  You would just need to make sure your extender does have that mode first.  When you log into the interface of the extender there is a mode button in the upper right corner.  This will tell you if you have an AP mode or not. 

Options
2021-02-23 19:11:39

@behrensr cannot hookup with spectrum dpc3216

any help?

Options
2021-02-23 19:11:59

@behrensr Please help

Options