[HS220] How to set a schedule for brightness only, while ensuring the "ON" state is not affected?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

[HS220] How to set a schedule for brightness only, while ensuring the "ON" state is not affected?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-04-29 20:29:43
Model: HS220  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.8

My HS220 is in my bathroom off of my bedroom. I want to schedule it so between the hours of 10 PM and 6 AM, if I turn the light on, it will be at a specific brightness (but only if the light is on). Essentially, I want to preset the brightness, similar to using the physical buttons on the switch itself. How do I do that? I tried setting a schedule for it, and as far as I can tell, if you set a schedule for the brightness, it automatically turns the light on. I spoke with customer support prior to purchasing the switch and they told me it was possible, but I can't figure out how. Any help would be appreciated.

Options
11 Reply
Re:[HS220] How to set a schedule for brightness only, while ensuring the "ON" state is not affected?
2019-04-29 22:07:12

@Casey69 

To do this you would need to use the scenes feature.  Set seperate scenes for the each brightness setting you want to use.  To trigger these settings you would use the Kasa App, Widgets or voice asssitants.  The manual pressing of the butting will trigger the last state for the lights

Best Regards 

Options
Re:Re:[HS220] How to set a schedule for brightness only, while ensuring the "ON" state is not affected?
2019-04-29 22:54:57 - last edited 2019-04-29 22:56:03

Is it possible to schedule a scene to run at a certain time? Also, when creating a schedule, what does the Last "ON" State setting do? If you can't combine it with the brightness, what's the point? Thanks!

Options
Re:[HS220] How to set a schedule for brightness only, while ensuring the "ON" state is not affected?
2019-04-30 13:51:38

I created a scene as suggested - when running the scene, the lights automatically turn on, which is not what I want.

Options
2019-04-30 16:18:49

@Casey69 

Last "On" state will trigger the lights to go on at what ever the setting was last set to when they were turned on.   For instance if you had the lights dimmed to 50% when last turned on.  Then the next time they are triggered the lights will go on to that state.

Scenes can be set to turn on or off and for devices with additonal features light the light bulbs and dimmer switch you should have the addtional option of setting brightness or color depending on the device.  If you are not getting the desired results please share a screen capture so we can see what is going on and help determine a resolution.

Thank you 

Options
2019-04-30 16:33:07 - last edited 2019-04-30 16:49:19

I ended up using Yonomi to allow me to set the brightness level without also turning the lights on (so that when I turn the lights on manually, it will already be set to the correct brightness). This is also possible using the Alexa app (they have a separate setting for "power" and a separate setting for "brightness".) So, clearly this is possible, it just appears to be a shortcoming in the Kasa app.

Imagine this scenario: every light switch in my house is an HS220 dimmer switch. I want the lights in my house to be dimmer in the evening, say 75%. So, I create a scene called "Evening" and set it to reduce the brightness to 75% starting at 8:00 PM. With the Kasa app in its current state, every light in my house would then turn on and be adjusted to 75% brightness. So, if my kids were sleeping, it would turn on the lights in their rooms, which obviously isn't ideal. What I'd like instead is, if the lights are off, it would "preset" the brightness to 75%, but allow the lights to remain off. If the light is already on, it will set the brightness to 75%.

It's possible to "preset" the brightness level using the physical decrease/increase buttons on the switch itself if the light is off, that option is just missing in the app.

Options
Re:Re:[HS220] How to set a schedule for brightness only, while ensuring the "ON" state is not affected?
2019-04-30 17:22:24

@Casey69 

I'll refer this to the Smart Home divsion.  I would like to clear up something about Scenes though.  When creating them you assign the devices you want to be in that scene, so you can exclude for example a childs room so their lights would not be affected by the truning on or off lights,  Also different devices can be in different scenes.  We are always looking at improving our offferings and as I stated I will provide this thread to the smart home team to review for a possible future update.

Best Regards 

Options
Re:Re:Re:[HS220] How to set a schedule for brightness only, while ensuring the "ON" state is not affected?
2019-04-30 17:56:25

Thanks, Carl. However, excluding the child's room from the scene would then mean that if the light is turned on, it would be at 100% brightness (or whatever the previous brightness was), instead of 75%.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:[HS220] How to set a schedule for brightness only, while ensuring the "ON" state is not affected?
2019-04-30 20:40:33

@Casey69 

My point was that you can set different scenes for different devices.  I wanted to make sure that was understood not just for you but anyone who reads this thread.  I do understand what you are trying to accomplish and i have asked our Kasa team to look into it.  Right now though what you are asking for is not available in the Kasa app.

Options
2019-06-19 21:56:11

To get an idea of what the interface might look like, check out the "New Routine" section in the Amazon Alexa app (it allows for controlling power and brightness separately).

Options
2020-12-12 18:21:12

@Casey69 can you share how you were able to do this using yonomi?  I tried it by having it set a dim level at a certain time but it turns the light on, so i also added a command to turn it off right after, but it can be hit and miss...

also how are you liking your dimmer after having used it for a while?

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 5740

Replies: 11