Internet not available;Fix=daily Power cycle of TPL + Frontier router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-05-07 17:18:58 - last edited 2019-05-08 14:24:57
Model: RE450  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: RE450_V1171215

dear Readers,

TPL range extenders (RE) is well rated and hence i got it.  looks like some of them are swearing by the device. PC Editor Mag recommended it. 

i have to check and update firmware if needed - i got it from amazon 3 days ago.  I configured SSID to have a _TPL (for tp link) for each of the connected frequencies. 

the RE is only 3 days old and I had to restart 2 times with the Frontier FIOS router.  when i place my android phone near TPL RE, i get 885 Mbps at 5Ghz - but sometimes it says internet not available.

i had to power cycle my frontier/fios router and then the TPL RE.  till now it is stable as my RING camera is working.

Best Buy website has a 4.4 review and AMazons verified purchases have give 3.8 stars.  So i dont know what is missing.

On a side note, the fios server has been working well when TPL RE indicates internet connection unavailable.  If i connect my android device to the FIOS wireless, it works fine.

thanks and regards

ravi kaushika

817-505-6092

Updated: Hardware=V1.  Firmware: RE450-V1-2017-12-15.

Options
8 Reply
Re:Internet not available;Fix=daily Power cycle of TPL + Frontier router
2019-05-07 17:53:20

@DFWRavi 

When internet is not available is that for both bands? How has the 2.4GHz band performed?

At any point does the circle LED light turn red?

What is the current build you are running for the RE450?

Options
Re:Re:Internet not available;Fix=daily Power cycle of TPL + Frontier router
2019-05-08 14:49:17 - last edited 2019-05-08 15:16:50

Tony,

good morning. 2.4 GHz is working fine. Not 5.x Ghz. When my android is not connecting to MyWirelessSSID_5G_TPL (tpl = from tp link), it does not communicate with the outside world even though i have 500+ Mbps speed and even if i am standing next to the TPL device.

If my android phne connects to MyWirelessSSID_TPL (for 2.x GHz), it connects to the internet fine and the speed ~ 160 to 190 Mbps close to the TPL device WITHOUT a reboot / power cycle after having issues with 5.x GHz.

i updated the firmware last night.

Updated: Hardware=V1.  Firmware: RE450-V1-2017-12-15.

LED does not turn red when my 5.x GHz fails to connect to the internet.  the circular LED goes to Red briefly when the 5 Ghz drops and then comes back to blue. During the drop time, 5Ghz LED is always blue.  At that time, the 2.4 Ghz is still functioning.

do i have a bad device>

thanks for your help.

regards

ravi.

Options
2019-05-08 16:04:17

@DFWRavi 

The LED should not turn red at all. I would recommend moving the extender closer to the router just to test. See if the 5GHz is now working fine if so, the distance was too far for the 5GHz. 

If the LED stays blue the entire time, contact our support team at that point.

Options
2019-05-08 16:16:18

Tony,

thanks for the quick reply.

If for 5 Ghz, 'amplication'/ 'extension', should the device be always closer to the main broadcasting router?  let me check tonight and i will update this forum.

thanks for your input and helping users like myself.

regards

ravi kaushika

Options
2019-05-08 16:44:39

@DFWRavi 

The 5GHz does not have the distance compared to the 2.4GHz, and utilizing the LED lights can give an idea how far you can place the extender.

Options
2019-05-09 04:28:33

dear Tony,

good morning.

I moved the TPL to a distance of 20 feet from the frontier fios router. to move it closer to the frontier router, i had to unplug TPL RE450 and re-attach it to the network, 5ghz_TPL started working for sometime and then dropped the internet on 5g.  the internet was available on the 2.4 ghz continously,

after it dropped, at one time, i saw once (dunno how many times it did while I was in the other room) blue circle become a red circle briefly and turn blue again.  now there is no internet on 5g_TPL.

i used wifi analyser and found that 24Ghz_TPL is at -47 dBM and reducing to -30s at 15 feet; at the same location_5g_tpl was at -64 dbM.  

frontier s routers 5g is doing well through out - when i force my android to use 5g_tpl, it is trying to get a ip address, spins for a while,  and finally connects to Frontier's 5G.

i dont know whether it is a tpl re450 limitation or i have a bad device.  

i am planning to return the device to amazon  if i cannot get the 5g_TPL to stay alive for a good amount of time,.

Tony, thanks for your promptness and help.

thanks and regards

ravi.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Internet not available;Fix=daily Power cycle of TPL + Frontier router
2019-05-09 15:56:25

Tony,

good morning.  thanks for your help.  

here are Wifi readings:  please let me know if they are in line with your expectations:

readings from breakfast area table:

ARRIS Fios router 45 feet  2.4 Ghz = -62 dBm

TPL RE 450 20 feet 2.4 GHz = -58 dBm

ARRIS 5 Ghz  = -55 dBm

TPL RE 5 Ghz = -60 dBM,

error log is attached in a .xlsx file,

thanks for your support.

thanks and regards

ravi kaushika

File:
TPLErrors.xlsxDownload
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Internet not available;Fix=daily Power cycle of TPL + Frontier router
2019-05-09 16:37:27

@DFWRavi 

The Wi-Fi readings look good, generally you want anything below -70 dBm.

Seeing the DNS error reminded me of an issue that is known with Spectrum routers in which connected devices do not get internet. My collegue posted a solution. In this case since the issues look similar I would try what is mentioned in this post:

https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/159613?page=1

It does call for disabling the DHCP server on your router, and enabling it on your extender. If you are not comfortable doing that. I would then at that point contact our techincal support to see what solution they can provide you.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1606

Replies: 8